Where do the dropdown values come from?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

NWDreamer

Where do the dropdown values come from?

Post by NWDreamer »

My assumption for the values displayed in a dropdown is that they come from one of two places: 1) A list of all values actually being used, and 2) A pre-defined set of values.

However, what I'm currently seeing as selectable values in the Quality dropdown include some weird extras (like "3", "4", "C/Z", etc.) that are not being used for any track and don't seem to belong (I've got others that really don't belong as well).

So my basic question is: Where are these values kept and are they editable?

Thank you!
Craig B. (a.k.a., NW Dreamer - Gold MediaMonkey user.)
MMFrLife

Re: Where do the dropdown values come from?

Post by MMFrLife »

Where did you obtain the files with the weird character/words in them.

You can try editing them by Entire Library > Quality column sort > select oddities to edit > properties > edit field
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on the field. Most fields only display values that are currently used in the Library. Genre is a big exception, it has pre-defined values (the base ID3v1 values) and will also keep showing values that were previously used.

To resolve you can use: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... used+genre

Post by Guest »

Other way round. The Lists table has no trigger to delete redundant/unused id. The Genres table does - namely delete_genre.
KyleHxAgain

Post by KyleHxAgain »

Does anyone have a list of the pre-defined genres ("base ID3v1 values")?
Also, will a database re-optimization clear out the unused values from the drop-down?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

KyleHxAgain wrote:Also, will a database re-optimization clear out the unused values from the drop-down?
Only for the fields listed as options in the Maintain Library dialog.
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

MMFrLife wrote:Where did you obtain the files with the weird character/words in them.

You can try editing them by Entire Library > Quality column sort > select oddities to edit > properties > edit field
Was just revisiting this topic. I'm assuming that the above means to go to the Entire Library collection, then sort everything by clicking on the Quality column, then find any tracks with the odd values and fix them.

If so, then it won't work for me since none of the weird values show up (i.e., there are NO tracks with the weird values assigned). That said, I'm also noticing some old values that I entered incorrectly are showing up so I'm thinking the values for this field are being saved in some values table and are not a select/unique of the Quality field.

I really didn't think about it until today, but I suppose I can get into scripting and resolve some of these things the old-fashioned way.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

No, the dropdown values come from the MM media tree. Go to "Entire library" node and find the Genre or whatever classification sub-node that you're looking for.

Expand these and all the dropdown values show here. You can right-click > Remove to get rid of them.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Ah. Finally got it. Ok, the values are clean now. Thank you!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

NWDreamer wrote:Ah. Finally got it. Ok, the values are clean now. Thank you!
Another little-known MM fact: if you want to rearrange the order you see those values in the drop-down menu, drag and drop those same entries in the MM media tree into whatever order you like. They will show in the same order in the drop-down menu.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Good to know, thanks.

One question: How come the custom fields can't be shown in the Media Tree area without using an addon?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's a design choice by the developers. Not all fields are available for the Media Tree.