Tracks playing out of order only in recent albums backed up

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jaykey

Tracks playing out of order only in recent albums backed up

Post by jaykey »

Hi, recently i backed up a new batch of Cd's, and can't seem to find how to fix a mistake I must have made. All previous albums still play tracks in correct order. In new batch of albums, tracks within each album are jumbled. Please could someone tell me where the setting is to change this, and what should the setting be? I looked in 'edit properties'' and 'advanced tag management' - obviously not the right places. Thank you, Jay
MMFrLife

Re: Tracks playing out of order only in recent albums backed

Post by MMFrLife »

They don't play in oder relative to what? How you are putting them into "now playing"? Are you clicking on a column, like "track #", to set the order?
I don't use MM to rip, so I'm not sure if the tracks are supposed to show up in the natural runninng order as they are ripped (I would assume so).
Is track # in the rip destination setting for filename set properly?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you rip or burn a CD?
jaykey

Post by jaykey »

Hi, sorry have been so busy that I had to let other things go for a while.I ripped the cd's for backup copies. How can I now change the tracks of each album so they are in the right order? Any idea what I should have done to prevent CD tracks from being listed out of order? This hasn't happened before. Thanks, Jay
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

If you are just looking at them in explorer, are they out of order or do they have track #s in front of them
like "01 Title, 02 Title"? And if you grab all of them in explorer > right click > play now in Mediamonkey (assuming you have this set for
context menu from Options) do they play in order?

Again, I'm not familiar with MMs ripper but many rippers can put a 1 or 01 in front of the track if you want so tracks will play in order.
Are track #s showing up under the track # column in MM?

The following scenarios in Tools > Rip CD > Destination
will result in a Track # in front:
Drive:\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> <Artist> - <Title>
Drive:\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> <Title> [personal pref]

Do you have infer properties checked in Options > Library?

Will this new batch play in order in another program?

Can you think of anything about the way you were previously ripping tracks that might be different from this more recent problematic batch.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMFrLife wrote:If you are just looking at them in explorer, are they out of order or do they have track #s in front of them
like "01 Title, 02 Title"? And if you grab all of them in explorer > right click > play now in Mediamonkey (assuming you have this set for
context menu from Options) do they play in order?
Note that Windows Explorer sends files in the order starting from the active selected files within the selection, thus it may be out of order.

If in MediaMonkey make sure you sort the files correctly (using column headers). Compilation Albums can be shown out of order if Album Artist hasn't been set to the same value (like Various Artists) for all files on the Album.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Lowlander wrote:Note that Windows Explorer sends files in the order starting from the active selected files within the selection, thus it may be out of order.
Good emphasis Lowlander! You will definately encounter order problems (alpha order) if you grab and send from explorer without the numbers in front of the filenames.
....will also occur in MM if no way for MM to determine track #s under Track # column or from filenames.
😜
jaykey

Post by jaykey »

Hi guys, Thanks for your help..
:) I have read your answers a couple of times, but I am not sure we are on the'same page', though it could be just me reading you wrong. I only ever view music albums and tracks in Media Monkey, not windows explorer. Having said that, I just opened explorer and looked at the few albums in question -all the tracks are in the right order in Win explorer. They are only out of order in the MM. They are not compilation albums made up of tracks from other albums, neither are they of mixed artists. When I compare properties with albums I backed up in the past, The sort order is the same...Album/track title/track number.....I can't see any reason why these latest albums should then have tracks listed out of order. I wouldlike to find a way to re-order them correctly, and hopefully understand if I did something wrong. Thank You, Jay
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Those questions are asked to find out if they are also out of order in other scenarios, which might then tell us something about why they are
out of order in MM.

The closest things to explorer inside MM are the Filename and Path columns. Since the ripped files work in explorer, are you able to sort them/play them to order by the filename or path columns in MM and then select all > play now?........under either library and/or my computer (inside MM).

Also, if you could post a screenshot of your "rip audio cd" dialog box with one of the problem discs inserted
or at least copy and paste what's in the "destination" field of that dialog box here if you dont have a way to post screenshots.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can sort on any field, you may have sorted on one that results in an out of order Album display.
jaykey

Post by jaykey »

Hi, am currently experiencing a totally unrelated problem with my machine, just won't beabletofollow this up for a fewdays until it's fixed. (Just thought I'd let you know, instead of Just disappearing like I did a whileback) Back soon... :) Jay
jaykey

Post by jaykey »

Hi Again, my computer problem turned out to be major, and has been a long learning curve to sort out. Lost all recently added tracks, as they weren't in most recent back up.So unable to follow through with my exact question. However, to prevent the issue of album tracks showing up out of order after being ripped, ( and artist, album artist are the same, album name and disc number is the same for all tracks), do you have any advice for me please? What should I be entering in the destination field? All my music goes to a 'music' folder in D drive. Thank you, Jay
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

It's tough to say because having tracks play in order is usually just determined by the number sequence the ripper gives the tracks on the album.
Usually it's straight forward. I mean, rippers don't order tracks by numbering them out of order. So, if it was something else, it's difficult to say
without having resolved previous occurence (screenshots, etc).

My advice is to start ripping again and see what happens.
Make sure you have latest version MM and that your track sort column is ascending order.

This is what I use for filenames: <Track#:2> <Title>. This is the only thing I can imagine, off the top of
my head, modifying the order. Usually rippers use single digits for 1 - 9, but that still shouldn't matter.
Also, artist; album; etc. fields shouldn't throw the track order out of place either.
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MediaMonkey folder/filenames are irrelevant (they could be used though). It all depends on sorting and this is normally done on tags. If the tags (Album, Album Artist, Disc# and Track#) are correct in the files you only need to sort on Album to get proper sort.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

MMFrLife wrote:This is what I use for filenames: <Track#:2> <Title>. This is the only thing I can imagine, off the top of
my head, modifying the order. Usually rippers use single digits for 1 - 9, but that still shouldn't matter.
Yes, it really only matters what # sequence the rip sets for the track # tag.
Track number or album columns will then order it, as Lowlander suggests.
😜