Analyzing Volume and MP3Gain

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

fizzjob

Analyzing Volume and MP3Gain

Post by fizzjob »

I've been using MediaMonkey since version 3.something, and I'm a little confused as to how MM4.1 handles volume analysis.

A good chunk of my music library predates my use of MediaMonkey, and I had been using MP3Gain to perform volume leveling. I never got out of that habit, and still use MP3Gain to level the volume of new tracks before I bring them into MediaMonkey.

All of my music is album levelled to 89db. My phone seems to need a bit of help to play music at an acceptable volume in my car, so I have set the sync settings to level tracks to 95db. Presuming that MM used its own Volume Analysis data to base that on, I ran MM's Volume Analysis on my library. The Track Volume and Album Volume hovered around 0db - I figured that MM was reading the tags set by MP3Gain and saying, "Oh, this is already levelled to 89db, so I don't need to do anything."

Now, the Volume Analysis is behaving differently. Track and Album Volumes on things added recently seem to be, well, all over the place. There's a pretty clear point at which this happened - music added before 1/29/14 all has Volumes around 0db, but since then it's anwhere from -5 to -11db, and that coincides with the 4.1 release:

Here's an example of the differences I'm seeing between MP3Gain and MM:

This doesn't really affect me on a day-to-day basis, as I don't have "Level Track Volume" set, but I am concerned that the next time I sync to my phone that songs will be levelling strangely. Did something change in MM 4.1? Does MM 4.1 no longer read the tags set by MP3Gain? Do I have to re-run the volume analysis on all my files?
Lowlander

Re: Analyzing Volume and MP3Gain

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure you ran MP3Gain over those files? If so I suggest offering one to support as this sounds like a bug: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... &_a=submit
fizzjob

Re: Analyzing Volume and MP3Gain

Post by fizzjob »

Lowlander wrote:Are you sure you ran MP3Gain over those files? If so I suggest offering one to support as this sounds like a bug: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... &_a=submit
I just double-checked - when I run mp3gain on them in a command prompt, it says that no action is needed.

I went back to the "raw" mp3 files and documented what's happening. I'll post the screenshots with the bug report.