Podcast Tagging and MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

caffeine

Podcast Tagging and MM

Post by caffeine »

New MM user here. All my music resides under /data/mp3, and all my podcasts reside under /data/mp3/other-3/podcasts.

I noticed that MM correctly identifies many of my podcast mp3 files as podcasts and lists them under the podcast node. However, some are listed under the music node.

How does MM determine what mp3 file is a podcast (to be displayed under the Podcasts node) and what mp3 file is a music file (to be displayed under the Music node)?

What is the best practice for tagging podcasts? We have many fields to play with and I've never given podcast tagging much thought before. I'd like to know what other people do to organize their podcasts effectively and optimally under MM.

Thanks!
Peke

Re: Podcast Tagging and MM

Post by Peke »

Simplest way is to add genre "Podcast" to files that are podcasts and remove from those that are not.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
caffeine

Post by caffeine »

Thanks Peke. Doesn't seem to work as expected. Screenshot showing songs retagged with "Podcast" still showing up in Music node:

Additionally, these podcasts don't seem to show up in the Podcasts node (they have an empty Artist field, so they should display at the top, but from the screenshot, they're missing) :

Is it *only* the Genre that determines whether a file shows up in Music or Podcasts?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It only works if you tag Genre with Podcast prior to their first scan into the Library. Afterwards you should be able to achieve the same by changing Type in the Properties window to Podcast.
caffeine

Post by caffeine »

That worked, thank you.

One last question. When you change the "Type", do you modify a field in the mp3's metadata? Or is this strictly a property kept tack of in MM's library database?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is only a MediaMonkey database value. It is set on first scan and after that can be changed by the user.