Help disabling startup scan

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Monkeyonasteenbeck

Help disabling startup scan

Post by Monkeyonasteenbeck »

Sorry folks, I'm sure the answer is on the forum somewhere but I can't find it, so apologies if I'm going over old territory.

I'm running 4.07 and every time I fire it up it scans my Library folder which takes 20 mins.

I've been through the options and toggled 'scan at start up' on and then off. Didn't help.
I've toggled file monitor on and then off. Didn't help
I've disabled the now playing up coming files to none and retain files to zero. Didn't help.

What am I missing?
Lowlander

Re: Help disabling startup scan

Post by Lowlander »

File > Add/Rescan Files and then remove all folders listed on the right side (Monitored Folders) of the window (or disable the Startup scan for the listed folders).
Monkeyonasteenbeck

Thanks, tried that.

The File>Add/Rescan window is empty.
Folder Moitoring options are off monitored folders is empty.

Any suggestions welcomed!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it may be reading the files in the selected node. What node in the Media Tree do you start MediaMonkey with?
Monkeyonasteenbeck

Lowlander, you're a star!

Just deselected everything in the Media Tree closed down and fired it up again and it didn't scan.

Now here's the $64,000 question...

How do I have access to my music library, which is just one folder, without MM scanning it everytime I open MM.

Really appreciate your help, thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you normally in a My Computer sub-node? Or what exact node do you have MediaMonkey open with?
Monkeyonasteenbeck

The media tree is as follows,

My Computer>H:\Media>Music

The only way I have found to add the Music Folder is via the Media Tree by the following method,

Tools>Options>Library>Media Tree and then in the right hand pane, 'Edit Media Tree', ticking 'My Computer' and then just the Music folder.

I'm guessing this is where I am going wrong. Is there another way to add the Music Folder that I'm missing?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When using the My Computer node MediaMonkey will always scan the files on your PC to read them in. Instead you should use a Library node like Music > Location (if folder structure is important) as this reads from the database instead of files which is much faster.

To add files to the Library use File > Add/Rescan Files and select the folder(s) you want scanned into MediaMonkey's Library.
Monkeyonasteenbeck

Lowlander, you are a Prince among men...

I can at last fire up MM without it scanning the entire music folder, now it just reads a databse file.

Thank you so much for your patience.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And that can be made faster (sometimes) by regularly running File > Maintain Library with complete optimization selected.
Monkeyonasteenbeck

I shall look into that as my library is at over 13,000 files

Much obliged
tniswonger

Post by tniswonger »

Recently, I began having the same problem with media monkey scanning every file when I open it. BUT I don't know anything about nodes, and such. I just know how to open Mediamonkey and copy a file. Please put a correction into simple language for us old and ignorant folks.
Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Folder Monitoring's Startup Scan enabled under File > Add/Rescan Files does this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... he_Library