MM v4 or v3

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

emueyes

MM v4 or v3

Post by emueyes »

I'm still new to mm, and just automatically installed the latest version available (4.0.7.1511) when I set it up. And it works great. I haven't attempted script writing yet, but it seems a fairly lively community, and helpful too. I'm happy with it, for very little effort on my part I now have a player that just blows my old setup back into the Windows 3 days.

My question is, have I installed the right version ? There seems to be a bit of a schism between versions 3 and 4, with some things not working; I'm especially looking at Monkey Rok and its refusal to install, with no explanation as to what the problem may be. There seem to be a few other scripts marked MM 3, as well. Should I just go back and use MM3, or carry on as I am?
rovingcowboy

Re: MM v4 or v3

Post by rovingcowboy »

Mm 2 is used on win 98 and xp some use it on vista but its really old mm 3 was made to work with xp and vista and some use it on win 7 but with some minor issues, mm4 was made to be used more for win 7 without issues but has some on xp and vista, now they made win 8 so they are working on mm4 version to work on it without issues, now that said it depends on your op system what is best suited and just what you are willing to put up with in way of issues.
But if you got win 7 use mm4 the skins for mm3 still work on mm4 its just i have xp and issues with mm3 skins in mm4 on xp but some others dont have that issue i have so its back to depending on your system and what your willing to put up with to have the fastest database for huge music librarys and best tagging options in the computer music market.

Were always glad to help and also glad to see new scripting ideas or members that can make new ones, lots of places to get help but check the links on my helpful messages page theres a link to the wiki where you will find all you need to make scripts and skins,
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MM3 is no longer actively developed, MM4 is the future. There are features in MM3 that don't work anymore, like auto-tag from web.

You should stick with MM4. By the way, MonkeyRok is developed for MM4:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... monkeyrok/
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
emueyes

Post by emueyes »

Thanks for the replies. Yep, I've noticed the community spirit in these forums, it's a very welcoming place to be. It gives me a great deal of confidence in software when people with thousands of posts and presumably encyclopedic knowledge take the time to answer little questions from me.

I thought that that was the case with MM4, and with Monkey Rok - that it should just work - but needed to check to make sure I wasn't trying to do something impossible. Looks like I'm doing the right thing though. My problem is that Monkey Rok 6.0.0.0 (version taken from the ini file in the mmip file) won't install - I just get a dialog box telling me that it was not installed, with no further info. MM itself works perfectly. And it looks fantastic, too :)

I'm willing to put in the effort to learn (I used to program for a living, hopefully one day I can contribute something) but at the moment I'm in that awkward beginner stage - asking very basic questions, but at least having a look for solutions before I post.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can ask questions about addons in the addons own forum thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =monkeyrok

No error message is shown at all other than failed to install? You may have to run MediaMonkey as Administrator to install/run addons. You may have to install for current user if you don't have rights to do it for all.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Did you check the box to install for the current user only?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
emueyes

Post by emueyes »

Thanks, that fixed everything. I ran MM as Administrator then installed the Monkey Rok addin. Now I can run with my normal account and it's fine.