Slow Network Library Import

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

giannico

Slow Network Library Import

Post by giannico »

I just purchased a new laptop - installed MM 4.0.5.1496 (Win7) - and am attempting to import a library of ~10k songs from an external hard drive hosted by my desktop PC on my wired (Gigabit) home network.

I added the appropriate music folders from the network location \\pc-name\\music\... and the import is working, but it's running extremely slow. It's taken about an hour to import ~2500 songs so far.

My machines are connected via wired network - as a test, I copied a duplicate folder containing my entire music library to my laptop's local hard drive and it only took ~25 minutes to copy the entire library. I don't want to keep the files local, because I have a small SSD in the computer.

I'm shocked that the library import is taking so long - is this expected? Can anyone recommend a solution?
dannyno

Re: Slow Network Library Import

Post by dannyno »

Obviously a great deal depends on the technology being used.

I'm currently using SyncToy to copy 30K+ mainly mp3 files (but FLACs too) from a NAS to an external hard drive (wireless to Vista laptop, USB to drive). I'm going to be at it for most of the week, running for an hour or so in the mornings and all evening. I left the process running from midday to about 10pm on Sunday and it did something like 13/14K files if I remember correctly. So I suppose somewhere between 1000-1500 an hour on my system? Certainly not faster than c2K files an hour. Perhaps I could get it done quicker by not using SyncToy, or not using my wireless network, or whatever.

So I don't know if you should expect it work faster, or whether there is anything you can do to improve speed, but I can say that in my experience these kinds of processes can be relatively slow.
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

I think the slow down may be the usb part of the technology.
All my music is stored on a server and I just added 400 mp3 files to MM, which is on laptop, and that took under 4 mins to scan in MM.
That was over a 802.11g 56 Mbps wireless network - so 2.5k files would have taken less then 30 mins.
:)
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

And not to forget: MM has to read every single song (open/close) for ID3 information, possible Cover, Lyrics and other things. You can't compare this process with the normal robocopy time for the same tracks.
But you are right: I would be happy too, if the import of this data would use all my CPU cores :wink:
Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

Just thought of something else - make sure you haven't got auto volume analysis turned on as that really slows down proceedings.
If you want to analyse volume its quicker to let the import finish then turn it on (the monkey's not too good at doing too many things at once :D )
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
prosodyspeaks

Post by prosodyspeaks »

i ran into this issue when moving from a laptop to a desktop+laptop and, trying to give the laptop access to files stored on the desktop via network.

bottom line is it is slow to scan.

uncheck volume analysis, artwork scanning, and especially duplicate checking - i did this and went from a few songs a minute to a couple a second, but for a large collectioon that's still a long time

still excruciatingly slow and mega-frustrating because all the information that the laptop is scanning for is presumably already written to the host desktop's database file because the laptop is only finding files that are already in the desktop database, and there are no files in the desktop database that the laptop will not be scanning. maybe someone cleverer than me could write something that interrogates the host db file rather than actually scanning?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you are connecting over WiFi then it will be slow.

I tested few days ago on WiFi 6 connection and it is still painfully slow.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts