MM creating distortion when playing MP3 file?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Pietercape

MM creating distortion when playing MP3 file?

Post by Pietercape »

I recently downloaded an Album from Classicsonline (Naxos) and when playing two of the tracks found very distinct distortions (I thought it was clipping) in two of the tracks. I reported this to Classicsonline. Whilst waiting for a response I deleted the file from the library and from my database and again downloaded the file from Classicsonline. The newly downloaded files had the same distortions at the same places. In one track it was near the end at 9min 41, 42, 44 and 45secs. Track two has distortion 44 secs in to the track.

After a few days and no response I deleted all the files again and downloaded again. Same result.

Playback had been with MM DirectSound as output plugin. I changed to Wasapi – same result. I changed to the Wave output plugin but with the same result. Classicsonline reported back that they could find nothing wrong with the source file.

Frustrated I played the file in WMP and to my surprise both tracks were clean. I then downloaded Foobar and again the tracks are clean.

Clearly there is a problem in MediaMonkey,. Anyone out there with an idea what caused this?

I have used Classicsonline and other download sites for years now and this is a first for me.

OS is Vista Home Premium – onboard soundcard disabled – default playback device is a Cantatis Overture 192 PCI card which comes with software that supresses Windows Sound Management. I have had this card for two years now and have not had any problems with it. Same card was used when playing back in WMP and Foobar.
MediaMonkey ver 4.0.3.1476 Lifetime Gold member.
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Re: MM creating distortion when playing MP3 file?

Post by Lowlander »

In that case an alternative MP3 decoder may help: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=101
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Lowlander,
Thanks for the response. I Installed the mad-input-plugin and it solved the problem of the distortions. Unfortunately there is still clipping in the recording when using MM to play the track. It is a classical recording with big variations in range. This clipping is not present when playing the same track in Foobar.
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You could open a ticket and offer up the file for analysis: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... &_a=submit
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Lowlander,
I submitted a ticket and will post the response when it comes,
Thanks for your input,
Pieter
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

After my initial post I found several other examples of what sounded like clipping and the common denominator was that in all these pieces there was a very high dynamic range.

I submitted a ticket about this issue (no response yet) but in the meantime found the answer in a knowledgebase article posted on 1 Feb 2008. The article deals with sound issues in MM. It essentially suggested a process of elimination to determine the cause.

The cause was Volume Leveling (Play > Level Playback Volume) and deselecting this option completely solves the problem. I may be imagining it but it seems to me that deselecting this option also results in a better "soundstage" feel to the music.

The knowledgebase article is here:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... 90&nav=0,5
Library 23k tracks