I'm new and lost

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Anti

Re: I'm new and lost

Post by Anti »

Jeez, hard to get a straight answer for this one, but I got it from google eventually. The answer seems to be:
Yes, the iPod firmware is a pain in the arse and does everything possible to make your life a misery; it isn't just iTunes.

The two choices appear to be:

1)
Use a utility (Eg. EphPod or Sharepod) that works-around the existing ipod firmware.

2)
In order to turn the ipod into a flash drive, and drag-drop files like any other mp3player, you need to use a 3rd party firmware called Rockbox.

As I say, nice hardware, but I don't see why anyone should put up with that kind of major hassle.
My next mp3 player will be Chinese, again.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

What exactly is your problem with the iPod firmware? It works.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Anti

Post by Anti »

I don't know what the problem is- I've never seen an ipod in real life; only google photos and reviews.

However, google 'ipod' and all you get is hundreds of pages of people having problems putting music onto it or taking music off.
It doesn't appear to work like a flash drive - it seems you can't just drag/drop music on and off it like you can with any other mp3player.
That's why I've never bought one. However, the Chinese ones I buy only last a year or two before breaking, so I thought I'd look for
something with a higher quality and design this time. But not if I can't drag/drop music on/off it.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anti wrote:I don't know what the problem is- I've never seen an ipod in real life; only google photos and reviews.

However, google 'ipod' and all you get is hundreds of pages of people having problems putting music onto it or taking music off.
It doesn't appear to work like a flash drive - it seems you can't just drag/drop music on and off it like you can with any other mp3player.
That's why I've never bought one. However, the Chinese ones I buy only last a year or two before breaking, so I thought I'd look for
something with a higher quality and design this time. But not if I can't drag/drop music on/off it.
Yes, that's how it works. But that's the beauty of doing it with MediaMonkey, you don't have to drag and drop, you can tell it what tracks you want to sync and it handles everything for you!

Anti

Post by Anti »

But that's what I mean -it appears you need software in order to move your music around, rather than just using Windows Explorer?
In other words, you can't just plug an ipod into any computer (via usb), and drag some music onto the ipod?
Or vice versa - you can't move music from your ipod to a computer simply via usb and Windows Explorer?

All my other mp3players let me do that in windows explorer because they act like a flash drive.
I wouldn't buy a player that didn't work with Windows Explorer, even if they are the best players in every other respect.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anti wrote:But that's what I mean -it appears you need software in order to move your music around, rather than just using Windows Explorer?
In other words, you can't just plug an ipod into any computer (via usb), and drag some music onto the ipod?
Or vice versa - you can't move music from your ipod to a computer simply via usb and Windows Explorer?

All my other mp3players let me do that in windows explorer because they act like a flash drive.
I wouldn't buy a player that didn't work with Windows Explorer, even if they are the best players in every other respect.
Then I guess the iPod isn't for you. But when you drag and drop files with Explorer you lose certain things, like the ability to keep track of playcounts/ratings/etc. on portable devices. Plus you then often have to navigate the player via folders and filenames rather than use the track metadata to browse.

Anti

Post by Anti »

OK. Thanks for the confirmation regarding how lame iPods are.
Apple won't be getting my money any time soon. :lol:
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anti wrote:OK. Thanks for the confirmation regarding how lame iPods are.
Well, since 95% of people with iPods are using iTunes to manage their music, it isn't much of a problem for them.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Anti wrote:OK. Thanks for the confirmation regarding how lame iPods are.
yep thats just what i did. let them have an ipod if they want it but i'm not getting one.

and unless its a simple to remember answer for ipod users i don't even answer them here i let that up
to nohitter151 our resident ipod guru 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

If I happened to have an ipod someday...

First thing I would do is install Rockbox.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote:If I happened to have an ipod someday...

First thing I would do is install Rockbox.
Any modern iPod will not run Rockbox.

Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Aw. That's a shame :/
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote:Aw. That's a shame :/
Meh, not really. I've used tons of portable players including iPods with Rockbox but I always come back to the regular iPod firmware. It's simple, easy, efficient, and does everything I want it to including playlists on the fly, playcounts, ratings, etc.

cmp58

Post by cmp58 »

I need to remove music from my device and start over. What is the easiest way to do this.
wbayderda

Post by wbayderda »

What makes it difficult is that if you got stuck or get to a certain point and run into trouble then you gotta come back here post the question and wait a long time to get an answer. I know once it is done, I'm sure I will enjoy MM.