Library split between My Music and Music

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ashenkin

Library split between My Music and Music

Post by ashenkin »

Hi Folks,

I migrated to Windows 7 a while back. It now seems that all the music i had previously added to the library are recognized as being under "c:\documents and settings\username\My Documents\My Music", whereas all my more recently added music is under "c:\Users\username\Music" (i.e. the windows 7 library). Is there any way I can consolidate the database such that all my music appears under the same "Location" node?

thanks,
a
plexicrunch

Re: Library split between My Music and Music

Post by plexicrunch »

How about putting all your music in the same location? :o
ashenkin

Post by ashenkin »

It *is* in the same location. Both those paths point to the same physical location on disk. It's just that Windows 7 has implemented "libraries" now, which makes this issue crop up in the first place.

So, the question remains...
plexicrunch

Post by plexicrunch »

One of these days I will start reading the full post before responding. :D
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I assume that if you moved the files with MediaMonkey that this should work. Tools > Auto-Organize Files is the best way to move files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... enames.htm
ashenkin

Post by ashenkin »

@lowlander - i moved the mediamonkey catalog file.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can't consolidate 2 MM.DB database files.

As most tags are stored in the files this isn't really needed either. A way around might be to scan in the files in the other DB (scan the location) and then use the Restore PlayHistory/DateAdded/Playlist addon to copy that data from the other DB in: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... playcounts
ashenkin

Post by ashenkin »

perhaps i'm not being clear enough here. There's only one mm database. But that database has some songs registered in the My Music folder, and other songs registered in the Music library directory.

Is there no way to run a script that will, for example, change all occurrences of "C:\documents and settings\my documents\my music" to "C:\users\username\Music" in the database?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Have you tried File > Locate moved/missing tracks?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
ashenkin

Post by ashenkin »

hmm, it doesn't find them with the Locate Moved/Missing function. A bit strange I suppose. So I take it there's no easy way to do a search-replace in the db, eh?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I am really confused.

do you have files in both locations and you want them consolidated to one? use auto-organize.

do you have files only one location, but MM thinks they are in two? if locate missing files does not work, then simply rescan the location with the files to re-add them to the library
ashenkin

Post by ashenkin »

@teknojnky: it's the latter - my files are in one place, but mm thinks they are in two. I could re-scan - guess i'm just hesitant as i don't know what info is stored in the catalog and what is stored in the files themselves. Lowlander suggested I re-scan, and then use a Restore script to get my play history, dateadded, playlist info back. Should I do a Synchronize Tags before I go through all that or something, just to make sure everything is indeed stored in the files? I also usually just link audio track to album art - i don't write the art to the files. So, not sure if the art path resides in the file or the catalog, etc. Lots of stuff to think about that I was trying to avoid!

thanks for everyone's comments. (though i'm still not sure what to do :-)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do all the files work in MediaMonkey or only from the one location they're currently in?

For the latter go to the Library > Files to Edit > Dead Links node, select all files and use File > Locate Moved/Missing Tracks
ashenkin

Post by ashenkin »

all the files work. (and a legitimate question might then be: why the hell do you care if MM thinks they're in different locations? the answer: well, it's kind of a pain on the odd occassion where i do have to browse by location. More than anything, though, it irks me to have the library split like this. I guess you could say i'm being anal. So, if I can't fix it, not a huge deal in the end.)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The as suggested I would select all files in the wrong location and use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to "move" them to the correct location.