combining databases for mainly ratings

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

seppo

combining databases for mainly ratings

Post by seppo »

I started using MediaMonkey at 2006 or maybe already in 2005 - cant really remember. As with so many cases, i have had a need to reinstall my computer from time to time during this period - however I do have almost all of the backups.

Now, I have had this problem before, that I have not been able to import my old MediaMonkey to new installation without problems- I have lost ratings, playlists etc. Many times this has been due to wrong drive, as it has also changed during the years for different reasons (database getting larger, windows putting different letter ot in at installation etc. After searching and not finding a solution I have just started to re-listen my tracks, putting them to new playlists and giving them new ratings.

Now I took the problem to hand once again, and found out that there IS a way to get old playlists imported through add/rescan tracks (though simply file->import would make much more sense when there is file->export) - provided that I have edited the m3u file with text editor to make sure drive letter is ok.
However when I tried to do this to an old 2.x database it didn't work.. so how to bring old 2.x databasest o this newest version 3.0.7.1191 (Gold-version)?

Another thing is that with each installation I have created ratings, some for same songs as with other installations, some for different ones. Is there any way to combine these, so I could combine all the old ratings to this new installation? It wouldn't matter which version of rating it would take, or maybe it let me choose..

So basically, I'd like to combine playlists and ratings form my old mediamonkey installations to new one. Most of the olde ones have been 2.x versions, but I guess there is also some 3.x too.
To make it easier (?), I have installed version 2.5.5 on the same computer as this new 3.0.7 version. I allready tried with one backup, and I can put the songs there again fine, but then the problem remains, how to transfer them to existing installation of version 3? Or how to combine all old versions to new one..
Lowlander

Re: combining databases for mainly ratings

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to check out DEI Sync for this.

Also check out this Wiki for future reference when moving to a new hdd/PC.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
seppo

Post by seppo »

Thanks for your answer. However I could not find the DEIsync -scirpt to load. At that forum there were the links to it, but they were not working. Any idea where to download it from?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try asking in the DEI script topic as the script developer might be watching it.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Sorry but the script won't help in this situation.
seppo

Post by seppo »

Ok, bad luck.. any other ideas how to combine databases - new or old ones (I found out that I can translate an old database to new one, so that should not be a problem)
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

The only way I can think of is to...

1. Disable tag updating
2. Replace the MM.DB with a backup/converted MM2 MM.DB
3. Start MM, manually sync selected tracks that are missing/wrong ratings etc (you might have to do a search for missing tracks each time)
4. Export M3Us of all playlists needed
5. Repeat for all databases
6. Delete/move the MM.DB
7. Enable tag udating
8. Fresh scan/add will import all the manually synced ratings etc.

Probably just as fast to re-rate/re-generate playlists from a fresh add/rescan :(
seppo

Post by seppo »

Thanks for answer.. I will try that out. Anyways, is your script still available? It seemed good fo future use anyway Though the info was spread a little, but what are the main functions of it?