How to delete Track Volume values?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

amallen

How to delete Track Volume values?

Post by amallen »

I am trying to delete Track Volume values from some mp3 files in my MM3 DB (3.1.0.1212). Apparently, I can only "temporarily" delete them from the Track Volume field. If I remove and re-add the files to the DB then the values re-appear. I deleted values manually and using Trixmoto's ClearField script. Are deletions only supposed to occur in the database? I thought they were supposed to be applied to the files as well.

Thanks,

Re: How to delete Track Volume values?

Post by Guest »

after you clear the field in the mm list. you must also re sync the files to make sure they are the same as the mm db list.

select the songs you changed, go to the tools menu click on advanced manager then click on sync files.

it will make sure the info is the same in the files you selected.
8)
amallen

Post by amallen »

I followed the instructions above but it doesn't work. The Track Volume values are still retained. It might be helpful to note that I downloaded many of these mp3s from Amazon.com. Could it have something to do with how they encode or tag their files?

Post by Guest »

they are not copyprotected are they? check their properties and see if they downloaded as a read only file.. :-?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

After you remove tags with scripts you generally need to synchronize the tags (Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags) to update the files themselves as well. Does that not work for you?
amallen

Post by amallen »

In response to the two posts above:

1. No, the files are not copy-protected/marked as read-only. In fact, I have been able to modify tag information for title, album, album artist, etc. and the modifications are saved just as you'd expect (i.e. - if I remove and re-add the tracks the changes persist).

2. I have deleted the Track Volume values for certain tracks and then gone to Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags. It doesn't work. If I remove and re-add the tracks the Track Volume info is the same as before.
amallen

Post by amallen »

The problem is definitely related to the Amazon mp3s I downloaded. I have found that I can delete Track Volume values from other (non-Amazon) mp3s and the changes persist. It's only the Amazon files that will not save changes for Track Volume. As I stated above, the Amazon files are not read-only and I can change and successfully save other tag information in the Amazon mp3s. So what's going on? Different Track Volume tags that MM can read but not edit? Anyone have an answer for this?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

try going in to the file information by using winamp start winamp use the button on the library to get to the files properties or info. not sure where its at in the modern winamp i use the classic skins on it. which still has the get file info button.

you want to see if there is any other place in the tags that it is being put there might be the same info in two tags.. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
amallen

Post by amallen »

rovingcowboy,

I went into WinAmp, added a bunch of the problematic files to the Now Playing window, right-clicked on one, and clicked View File Info. For both Track Gain and Album Gain it said Not Present. That's for v2 tags; there is no place where gain info is listed for v1 tags. In MM3, however, all the songs have values populated under Track Volume just as they should. (Album Volume has not been populated so they are all blank.)

So the question is, why isn't WinAmp seeing Track Volume/Track Gain values while MM is? And how is this related to my problem of not being able to permanently delete Track Volume values? Maybe the info is stored in the v1 tags that WinAmp doesn't list? That seems unlikely because I use "Store MP3 file properties using ID3v1 and v2 tags" Under Options--> Library--> Tags & Playlists. Finally, it might be worth knowing that I tested this with my iPod Classic ('cause I am at work). If MM and WinAmp read info from an iPod differently I can re-test with my source library at home.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You could try setting aside a few test tracks, use Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Clean ID3v1 & v2 tags after which you Synchronize the tags from the same menu. Does that solve the issue?
amallen

Post by amallen »

No joy. I copied a few tracks to a new folder and added them to the library. Then I selected all of those tracks, deleted all values from the Track Volume field, used Clean ID3v1 and v2 Tags tool, used the Synchronize Tags tool, and removed the tracks from the library. I re-added them but the Track Volume field displayed the original values again.

Then I tried something a little different with the same tracks. I deleted all values from the Track Volume field and ran the Analyze Volume tool - which produced new values that differed slightly from the original values. Next, I removed the tracks from the library and re-added them. They retained the values generated when running the Analyze Volume tool. After that I deleted all values from the Track Volume field again, used the Clean ID3v1 and v2 Tags tool, used the Synchronize Tags tool, and removed the tracks from the library. When I re-added them this time the Track Volume field displayed the original values (i.e. - the values when I first added the tracks and before I ran the Analyze Volume tool).

So what does that mean? That the original Track Volume values are held in another tag that MM reads but doesn't edit? Is there a way to look at all the tag info in a file (e.g. - like looking at an XML file in a text editor)?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Try mp3tag to see what tag the values are stored in: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
amallen

Post by amallen »

Using mp3tag, I can see Track Volume/Gain info for v2 tags (it's called REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN) under some conditions but nothing is ever listed for v1 tags. If I view the files in mp3tag after running the MM Analyze Volume tool (which produces new results as described above) then I see the newly calculated values. If I use the files with the original Track Volume values (as seen in MM) there is no field displayed for REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN in mp3tag. That seems to imply the original values are held in some other tag value that MM can read but not edit.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Try looking in these:

replaygain_track_peak
replaygain_album_gain
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
amallen

Post by amallen »

For the original files, replaygain_track_gain, replaygain_track_peak, and replaygain_album_gain do not show up in mp3tag (yet I see values displayed under Track Volume in MM). After running the Analyze Volume tool in MM, I see values for replaygain_track_gain and replaygain_track_peak but replaygain_album_gain doesn't show up (probably because I have not calculated Album Volume in MM). If I delete the values in the Track Volume field in MM then replaygain_track_gain, replaygain_track_peak, and replaygain_album_gain disappear when looking at the tag info in mp3tag.