won't recognize my external hard drive anymore

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

stuckagain

won't recognize my external hard drive anymore

Post by stuckagain »

out of nowhere, mediamonkey doesn't list my external hard drive in the list of drives to scan for music. all my music is on my external drive, and mediamonkey will still play those songs. it just doesn't list my external in the list of drives to scan for music. so i can't scan anything new into mediamonkey to put on my ipod. any suggestions?
Lowlander

Re: won't recognize my external hard drive anymore

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have something like Daemon Tools installed?

When you connect the iPod does the hard drive appear again?

Can you see the drive in the My Computer node?

You can type the location you want to scan in the Add/Rescan Tracks dialog right under the tree. Have you tried that and see if MediaMonkey is able to scan the drive this way?
stuckagain

Post by stuckagain »

no i don't have daemon tools installed. and no, the ipod being connected or disconnected didn't make a different. i did try typing in the location and scanning that way, and that DID work. but it would be easier if i could just pick and choose files with the click of the mouse instead of typing out the full file name location.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you check if the My Computer node shows the drive?

I understand that it's easier to select the drive from the tree and it's supposed to work. I'm not sure what is causing this issue, but you're the second one reporting this issue. Please tell us more about which version of MediaMonkey and Windows you are using. Also include a list of any software that you feel might be able to cause this issue.

PS. You can also right click on the drive (or folder on the drive) in the Location node and use Add/Rescan Tracks (don't know if it will work as it might show as unknown drive letter), the same goes for the My Computer node if you are able to see the drive.
dummdanne

Post by dummdanne »

I think I´ve got the same problem. I have an external hard drive with all my music on it and have played that music in mediamonkey library for a long time. Last week all those tracks greyed out and I couldnt play them anymore. I can see my external hard drive on my computer, but I cant find it when Im trying to add new tracks. I can play the tracks when I click on them in the folder. On path it then says G:\(filename). In the library it says [MyBook]\(filename). Can someone help me?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does restarting the PC resolve the issue?
dummdanne

Post by dummdanne »

No, it doesnt. :(
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i don't have this issue.

but i've had simular things happen to me with other programs. one week they work the next day after an ms update they are having troubles.

but a reboot almost always fixes that, and if that does not a reinstal of the program does.
which tells me that it is something in the registry that is messed up beyond what a registry cleaner can deal with.
but the over install will replace the hotkey's and fix the error.

now if that is the same with your external software i don't know. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
gnarls

Post by gnarls »

dummdanne wrote:I think I´ve got the same problem. I have an external hard drive with all my music on it and have played that music in mediamonkey library for a long time. Last week all those tracks greyed out and I couldnt play them anymore. I can see my external hard drive on my computer, but I cant find it when Im trying to add new tracks. I can play the tracks when I click on them in the folder. On path it then says G:\(filename). In the library it says [MyBook]\(filename). Can someone help me?
I have the exact same problem!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i read in another forum for help some where that windows its self has trouble using external drives.
so moving the monkey to the external drives i wonder if that is not also causing the same issue to show up? :o
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
gnarls

Post by gnarls »

I figured out the problem with mine. I had my external drive set to the letter "A". I changed it to "G" and media monkey works.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

gnarls wrote:I figured out the problem with mine. I had my external drive set to the letter "A". I changed it to "G" and media monkey works.
See point 3: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=41
Bingleborf

Post by Bingleborf »

I found this thread having experienced almost the same problem. All of my music (which I store externally) was gone from Media Monkey and the drive would not show up on the tree, and typing the URL didn't help. Seems it was a registry problem, because all I had to do was do a registry clean with CCleaner and everything seems to be normal. Try that if nothing else is working!
natakk

Post by natakk »

my iphone 6 is not recognized too.
phone is visible in windows and itunes. but MM didn't see the pluged device!

update to newest beta result in an hanging MM when iphone is plugged in.
will open ticket with debug log