Change file location manually in DB

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Change file location manually in DB

Post by Lowlander »

I just moved my whole music collection from a network drive to the local drive. Now I would like to manually edit the DB to show the songs in the new location.

I don't want to use the retreive moved tracks function as in the past too many files weren't picked up.

I have edited the songs table to update all the song paths. But this is not sufficient.

I guess I also need to update the medias table but I don't know how to go about this.

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Okay, I have gotten somewhere now.

I added a subfolder with few files to the DB and used the IDMedia field from this new location to update the IDMedia field in the songs table for all songs.

The songs work now. The only problem that I have left is that the location only shows the previously scanned subfolder and non of the other subfolders.

Would scanning all other folders keep all info in DB and show all locations in the location node?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well it seems scanning the folders doesn't work as I now have the files double in the DB.

So please advice me on the appropiate way if one exists.

BTW I still have an old copy of the DB without manual editing by me.
Lowlander

Got it!!!

Post by Lowlander »

I made a mistake in the songpaths. The drive letter is not supposed to be there. I deleted it and all songs play and all folders show up in the location node.

The awkward thing is that songs did play when the song path included the drive letter???

The only small problem I have is that the network location keeps showing up in the location node and I'm not able to remove it, any ideas?

Anyway everything is back up and running, very happy!!!
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Just rebuilt my PC and wanted to move database and files to new PC...
Copied files (in the same directory structure) to new disk, gave the disk the same volume name, loaded the database.
That was not enough, MM uses the volume serial id.
Dug out my serial changer... no good, it does not work on XP.
Resort to a bit of hex editing of the database file. Take a note of the old and the new volume serial ids. Searching the file for the volume name, it was not difficult to spot the old volume serial number (a 4 byte hex value, hence digits are nibbles and in reverse digit order) not many bytes before it. Replace the number with the new one and bingo, back in action.

OK, so it is crude, but it solved a problem.
If there was a better way, I would like to know.
(By the way, I knew that my tags were not synchnronised with the database, but my old 300MHz PC was so slow and I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it synchronising them before moving the files to the new PC).

Alan
jiri

Post by jiri »

As for changing serial number - the utility for this at http://www.sysinternals.com/ works well even for WinXP, so you could simplify the operation because you wouldn't need to go directly to the database.

Jiri
AlanB

better choice

Post by AlanB »

Thanks, Jiri...

Thought I had seen another serial changer somewhere, just couldn't remeber or find it when I needed it.

Anyway, VolumeId is definitely a better solution and would definitely recommend it over my kludge.

Thanks for the info (should have used the forum when I had the problem in the first place, shouldn't I?).

Alan