Playlists - Alternate Tracks between 2 or more Artists

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

michaelw

Playlists - Alternate Tracks between 2 or more Artists

Post by michaelw »

I am a long term Gold Lifetime user currently using MM 4.1.31.1919 and also looking at MM 5.0.1.2433.

For the first time I am using playlists that I want to use in my car via a memory card.

I have successfully created playlists on my PC and transferred then to the memory card and used them in the car.

So the scenario is:

I have created a playlist for one artist lets call then Artist 1, I removed all of the duplicates by sorting the tracks by track title and going through and manually deleting the duplicates. I could find no way to automate this process, so if anyone knows how to to this I would be interested.

I then created a playlist for a second artist lets call them Artist 2 and went through the same duplicate deleting process.

I then combined these playlists by opening Artist 1's playlist in Notepad copying the text into the clipboard then opening Artist 2's playlist in Notepad scrolling to the end and pasting the text from Artist 1 into the 2nd playlist and then saving this into a new 3rd .m3.u file entitled Artist 1 & Artist 2.

This works find and within MM 4 I can sort and amend this playlist and then update the playing order etc.

What I want to do is modify the third playlist to alternate the artists so the first track played is Artist 1 the 2nd is Artist 2, the third is Artist 1, the fourth is Artist 2 and so on until I run out of tracks.

I can of course do this manually by rearranging the listing but is is laborious in the extreme and ideally I would like a solution that allows me to have a playlist with three, four or more artists that I can sort in alternating artist order.

Is there a way of doing this either within MM or using scripts (which I have not even explored)?

Any help gratefully received.
Lowlander

Re: Playlists - Alternate Tracks between 2 or more Artists

Post by Lowlander »

For managing duplicates please see: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... icates/5.0

As for the Playlists you can create AutoPlaylists which are Criteria based. You can use Artist = and select the Artists you want included: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ylists/5.0
michaelw

Post by michaelw »

Thank you for your reply.

With regard to the duplicates issue this does not seem to deal with duplicate that occur in a playlist. This is often caused my the same track being on multiple albums, if select all the albums of say Artist 1 I will get multiple occurrences of a given track in the play list. I only want to delete the duplicates from the playlist and not from the individual albums.

With regard to the creation of the albums I am able to do this and remove the duplicates manually as details what I can't see how to do is to alternate the artists so that the sequence is Artist 1, Artist 2 etc as detailed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case it would require the long work arounds using manual Playlist. Do note that an AutoPlaylist can include other Playlists (with the Playlist Criteria) so you could include Artist Playlists that way into a single Playlist and use sorting as you need.