MMW 4.1.31 and 5.0.1 databases messed up

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

hdubnow

MMW 4.1.31 and 5.0.1 databases messed up

Post by hdubnow »

I moved my MMW 4.1.31.1919 music folders from one drive to another and swapped the drive letters, not realizing MMW stores by drive ID, not drive letter. Of course, even after moving the files, the files in the new location weren't found. I then browsed the forums and found a reference to the "Update Location of Files in Database" (http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/Update ... fFiles.htm) in the forums to fix the problem I'm seeing. I downloaded, installed, and ran the script, and it looks like the files are all in the database. However, the node expansion for Location doesn't find all of the folders (even though looking at the path for the artist shows all of the files in their proper locations in their proper respective folders). For example, D:\MP3 Music\Pink Floyd has 36 albums. MMW 4.1.31.1919 Location node sees 22 of the folders. I also saw a recommendation from 2017 to upgrade the database to 5.x to see if it fixed the problem. MMW 5.0.1.2433 Location node sees only one folder in D:\MP3 Music\Pink Floyd, and it isn't any of the 22 folders that MMW 4.1.31.1919 sees. I have totally messed up my database now, and neither MMW 4.1.31.1919 nor MMW 5.0.1.2433 is working properly. Of course, I've tried add/rescan, making sure I'm looking at Entire Library collection, making sure the files it does see are playable, etc. Also, it's not just Album Artist Pink Floyd that is messed up, but due to the size of my database I don't know how to get a comprehensive list of missing folders. Thanks in advance for helping me fix this.
Lowlander

Re: MMW 4.1.31 and 5.0.1 databases messed up

Post by Lowlander »

In MediaMonkey 5:

Music > Files to Edit > Dead Links shows files missing from connecting drives: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Dead_Links

Music > Files to Edit > Disconnected shows drives where the driveID has changed and MediaMonkey can't locate the drive itself: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sconnected

The DriveID itself can be fixed: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
hdubnow

Post by hdubnow »

Thank you for getting back to me, Lowlander. FYI, I've been a gold user since 2006.

I've tried to update the database with finding missing files as you suggested, but MM doesn't treat them as missing. For example, in MMW5, I can open Folders > D:\ [Data1] > MP3 Music > Pink Floyd and I see 36 albums, the correct count. But if I open the collection Entire Library > Location > D:\ [Data1] > MP3 Music > Pink Floyd I see only one album, D:\MP3 Music\Pink Floyd\The Man In Paris_ Live at Theatre des Champs-Elysees, Paris (1_23_1970) and if I open that album I see only one track, track 9 oddly enough. The weird thing, and maybe this is a clue for you, I can open the collection Entire Library > Albums > Dark Side of the Moon. all of the tracks are there and playable, and are located in D:\MP3 Music\Pink Floyd\Dark Side of the Moon, where it belongs. They are only missing in the Location node.

This is the same as in MMW4. I can open the tracks in a variety of ways, just some files are missing using Location, though the folders MMW4 sees in the Location browser are different to the folders seen by MMW5. Here is maybe another clue: In MMW4 (no idea how to do this in MMW5), if I open Entire Library > Location > D:\Data1 > MP3 Music > All, the correct number of tracks are shown at the bottom of the window. So all of the tracks are there in the database and (I think) all are playable. And Entire Library > Artists, Entire Library > Artists (and Composer, Album Artist, Album, Genre, etc.) all look correct. It's only Entire Library > Location that is showing incorrect data.

I hope this helps.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

All can be done in MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ecursively Try that and see if that shows more files like you expect it to.
hdubnow

Post by hdubnow »

Thank you, Lowlander. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you -- I've been sick and haven't felt up to doing much of anything. Getting better :)

Anyway, just before I got sick I decided to go down a different path. I moved the old 4.x database to a new name, re-imported all of the music and exports of the playlists. This worked except I will need to recreate about 10% of the playlists that are AutoPlaylists (about 20). This looks like it will get me completely back except for a bit of missing song metadata (date added, last played, and play count). When I feel better I'll write a little python program that will walk the songs in the old broken database (all of the tracks are in the songs table) and update the metadata to the new, happy database. I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know about performance -- if I need to, I'll temporarily add an index on the SongPath column. Obviously I'll back up the database before each step.

I know this isn't the recommended fix, but it looks like it will work for me and won't take very long to implement.

Again, thanks for your help.

-Harold
hdubnow

Post by hdubnow »

Lowlander, good news, database is back intact.

Long story short, I tried to update with python / APSW, which it turns out does not support IUNICODE. I decided trying to integrate support for IUNICODE into APSW using your 32-bit DLL was going to be painful at best. But it occurred to me that SQLiteStudio can see IUNICODE in your database, so it must support it. Once I figured that out, I did the whole thing in DML in SQLiteStudio. The whole thing took less than an hour, including re-learning SQL syntax -- it's been a while.

Anyway, very happy to have a working database again. And again, thanks for your help.

And now that I have a working database, I suspect the upgrade to MM5 will go smoother for me.

-Harold
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
First glad to hear you are better.

Harold, it could be useful to share what you have done in SQLiteStudio for other users and see if something we can improved in DLL to make things even better.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts