Podcast cross-contamination

Post a reply

:D :) :( :o :-? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :wink:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Podcast cross-contamination

Re: Podcast cross-contamination

by Lowlander » Mon May 01, 2017 1:18 pm

It might be some sort of caching issue where it's ignoring the specific Podcast requested. I don't know if the issue is on MediaMonkey's side or the providers side, but I don't see this with multiple subscriptions from the same provider.

You could create a debug log (step 4b) capturing the problem and attach the log to a Support Ticket: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69

Re: Podcast cross-contamination

by Yerushalmi » Mon May 01, 2017 12:43 pm, and yes. I'm running Windows 8.1, if that matters at all.

I should also add that I have no less than thirteen other podcast feeds, and none of them are experiencing any of this behavior. Only this one is. Could it be a problem with the libsyn server, on a particular port that MediaMonkey uses and that web browsers do not, and only when connecting from a particular IP address range? In which case the bug isn't with MediaMonkey at all?

Re: Podcast cross-contamination

by Lowlander » Mon May 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Which version of MediaMonkey? Have you tried a PC restart?

Podcast cross-contamination

by Yerushalmi » Mon May 01, 2017 8:46 am

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a weird bug with a certain set of podcasts.

I'm subscribed to http://weeklysubstandard.weeklystandard ... ro.com/rss (The Weekly Substandard). But last week, all of the episodes from billmaher.hbo.libsynpro.com/rss (Bill Maher) suddenly showed up in my feed alongside the correct episodes.

I tried unsubscribing and resubscribing, but then *only* Bill Maher's episodes showed up. And subscribing to the Bill Maher feed in MediaMonkey started downloading the Weekly Substandard!

The feed was behaving properly while I was at work so I thought the problem was with some bad routing on my ISP's part. But then I noticed something odd: if I tried to load the feed in a web browser, even at home,the feed loaded properly! So to summarize:

[*]At home, on MediaMonkey: The feed shows the wrong set of episodes.
[*]At work, on MediaMonkey: The feed shows the right set of episodes.
[*]At home, in a web browser: The feed shows the right set of episodes.
[*]At home, in a web browser: The feed shows the right set of episodes.

Eventually it sorted itself out and started downloading the Weekly Substandard again (but I still see all of Bill Maher's episodes in the feed). But today it happened again: episodes from yet another podcast (the "EntreLeadership Podcast" at http://entreleadershippodcast.ramsey.libsynpro.com/rss) suddenly showed up in the feed and started downloading. So now I have episodes from *all three* podcasts in one feed.

Right now, having unsubscribed from everything, I'm getting really bizarre situations:
Subscribing to the Weekly Substandard gives me the Bill Maher description but the EntreLeadership feed. Subscribing to the EntreLeadership feed gives me the EntreLeadership title and description but the Bill Maher episodes. Subscribing to the BillMaher feed gives me the Weekly Substandard (title, description, and episodes). If I then unsubscribe from the Weekly Substandard and Entreleadership, refreshing the Bill Maher feed adds the Entreleadership episodes alongside those of the Weekly Substandard. If I then resubscribe to the Weekly Substandard feed, it is completely blank, and suddenly the Bill Maher feed shows all three podcasts. Unsubscribing from both and resubscribing to EntreLeadership shows me the Entreleadership and the Bill Maher episodes together.

And so on and so forth! Every time I subscribe to or unsubscribe from a podcast, it's completely random. I see no regularity to it, and can never accurately predict based on previous behavior what episodes will show up at any given time!

I should emphasize that all three feeds look perfectly fine in Firefox, IE, and Chrome. It is only in MediaMonkey that they're pointing to each other. And when I connect to my office's VPN from home and instruct MediaMonkey to use the VPN's proxy server, all of the problems disappear and all three feeds act normal.