A myriad of issues [#18210]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ed.j

A myriad of issues [#18210]

Post by ed.j »

I've been playing around with MM5 for a few hours and these are the issues I've encountered. I'm sure some have been raised before so sorry for duplication.

Before I moan though, the extensive development that this has gone through is evident - it looks like a big re-writing, it's much more modern, seems generally more capable and is keeping up with the times.
  • the album page, which shows information on the album pulled from wiki, is a nice addition. that said, the genre tag above the wiki description is not read from tags, but wiki - so for some albums, in my eyes it is incorrect.
  • the now playing album art view is very cool - but you should be able to select/show a LOT more information/tags in the tag panel. and a biography or track or album info at the bottom would be great.
  • waveform seek is fantastic
...... and moan:
  • can't drag an album into now playing by the album art. so adding an album to the list takes substantially longer than before
  • when editing auto playlists, the (-) to remove a criteria is way too far to the right. it should be next to the criteria in the same way as the sort options
  • seek not working when playing to upnp/dlna device
  • gapless not working via upnp/dlna
  • if you select the publisher collection, publisher isn't shown anywhere
  • the preview element doesn't show empty/unknown tags/info therefore impossible to build a consistent layout, eg have text tags on one side and number info on the other
  • can't create custom toolbars - takes longer to switch between views
  • why is the search box hidden?
  • the rating node should hide ratings with no matches
  • clicking column header "artwork" or "summary" in album list view doesn't sort by album name or album artist respectively
  • the volume slider is absolutely tiny in most skins
  • artist - title in the now playing section of the window is very small and has no prominence. and can't be configured
  • still have to restart to change a skin!?!?
But the absolute biggest kick in the teeth............

is that you can't edit the tags (and format) that are shown per album in the album summary view - this is a HUGE disappointment. Not being able to show Publisher, Grouping, Genre, Custom tags etc is a massive regression. Peke hinted at multi-line summaries in https://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?p=466576 and the result is actually worse! i think this regression alone will be enough for me to not pay for the upgrade to MM5.
Lowlander

Re: A myriad of issues

Post by Lowlander »

Many items have been covered on the forum before.

DLNA serves files, any processing on those files (like crossfading/gapless/etc.) is applied by the client.

Publisher is available as column: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _are_Shown
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Hi @Lowlander, I thought that might be the case but wanted to get everything down just in case.

the absolute most important one for me is this one - has it been addressed anywhere?

you can't edit the tags (and format) that are shown per album in the album summary view - this is a HUGE disappointment. Not being able to show Publisher, Grouping, Genre, Custom tags etc is a massive regression. Peke hinted at multi-line summaries in https://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?p=466576 and the result is actually worse! i think this regression alone will be enough for me to not pay for the upgrade to MM5.

I can't find threads for the following - should i make separate ones or OK to keep here as one?
  • can't drag an album into now playing by the album art. so adding an album to the list takes substantially longer than before
  • if you select the publisher collection, publisher isn't shown anywhere - your comment Publisher available as a column - there's no point in having it as an extra node then as it's the same as the album node - i have just seen the "show all subnodes" option!
  • the preview element doesn't show empty/unknown tags/info therefore impossible to build a consistent layout, eg have text tags on one side and number info on the other. suggest people able to add specific tags to a specific column. eg i can add title, artist, album, genre, publisher to column 1 and date, track #, disc # to column 2.
  • the rating node should hide ratings with no matches
  • clicking column header "artwork" or "summary" in album list view doesn't sort by album name or album artist respectively
  • artist - title in the now playing section of the window is very small and has no prominence. and can't be configured
new issues i've noticed:
  • in the preview panel, if you click on an empty area below the tags, it opens the album art in a new window. this is very annoying because if you are editing tags, or you click one by mistake, this is a natural area to click to get off/out of that tag
  • hitting [Escape] on the keyboard should close the album art window that pops up
Will leave out the upnp/dlna ones for now, the gapless thing in particular. It seems to be a very confused topic in general. For eg if I play from Bubbleupnp on my android to my hifi, it will play gapless, but from the yamaha app it doesn't; yamaha confirmed to me that their APP does not support gapless but the hifi/renderer does. which makes me confused with your comment about the client. it possibly has to do with silence/crossover settings on my side which i need to investigate further. same goes for track seek messing things up.
ed.j

Summary format for individual files and art view

Post by ed.j »

Summary format for individual files and art view

This is one of the most useful parts of MM4 and has the potential to be expanded quite simply (ie more lines in Art View) which will exponentially improve its usefulness.

Is the ability for the user to edit the summary formats for tracks and albums going to be implemented in MM5?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're referring to the Summary Column in the List (by Album) view, that's not user editable. However you can choose to add/remove any Columns in that view.
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Will it ever be? Could a request be put in?

Details like Publisher, Year, Catalogue number, often genre, do not need to be stated for each track on an album.

And what about for the track currently playing?

The functionality was there in MM4 and it is one of my favourite aspects (customizing album summary view) so I won't upgrade if it's not possible.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:02 pm Added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18210
Thank you very much :)
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:02 pm Added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18210
Another bump for this - specifically the ability to

a. customise the three lines of text that are shown under "Summary" column in List (by Album) view (more important)
b. add more lines (less important)

It irks me so much that fields like Publisher, Grouping, to an extent Genre, and a load of other ones (I have my own custom ones and I'm sure others do too) have to be shown, repeatedly, for each track in an album. You should be able to display them once in that column. It's neater and a smaller use of screen real estate.

In case there's any doubt what I'm trying to achieve, it's to move from the rigid format (in Columns -> Groups -> Summary) of:

Album
Album Artist
Date

To something customisable - for example I would do something like

Album Artist - Album
Publisher - Date
Genre - Grouping
Country - Catalogue Number

I think this has been a request for years and years and with all my developing knowledge (none) I can't see that it would be that difficult to implement... please!!
aprilsnow

Re: A myriad of issues [#18210]

Post by aprilsnow »

Yes, I need this too!
MM4 was able to handle this.
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Bump - please please please... I have been requesting this since 2011......
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the ongoing feedback! It's planned for 5.1 (tagged as 'urgent') so it really should make it to that release.

-Rusty
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

rusty wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:54 am Thanks for the ongoing feedback! It's planned for 5.1 (tagged as 'urgent') so it really should make it to that release.

-Rusty
Awesome! Will believe it when I see it...!
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

rusty wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:54 am Thanks for the ongoing feedback! It's planned for 5.1 (tagged as 'urgent') so it really should make it to that release.

-Rusty
I can't believe this is marked as resolved! Genuinely (sadly...!) excited to see this in the next RC release.