[SOLVED] Problem with Copying file mm5.DB to mm5.db when Optimising

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

IanRTaylorUK

[SOLVED] Problem with Copying file mm5.DB to mm5.db when Optimising

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

I get a message box when trying to Manage the database with option of Cancel / Retry or Ignore.

All options go around in a loop. So I had to use Task Manager to kill MM5.

I am using 2286 as a portable install to C:\Media Monkey 5 2286\ so the full message box is:

"Problem with Copying C:\Media Monkey 5 2286\Portable\mm5.db to C:\Media Monkey 5 2286\Portable\mm5.db

The issue arises when ALL four check boxes are selected and occurs at the stage when the following is displayed:

"Rebuild database: copying content of database table(s):Radio"

SO from the menu options - File / Manage Database / Maintenance: Rebuild full-text search index + Optimise database + Rebuild database + Clean URL Cache.
Ian Taylor
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Problem with Copying file mm5.DB to mm5.db when Optimising

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Appears to be fixed in 2288 released today. Thanks.
Ian Taylor
Jim Kelly

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with Copying file mm5.DB to mm5.db when Optimising

Post by Jim Kelly »

I have this ALMOST exact same issue, just started.

I have tried unticking the four boxes except the first - works OK
Then ticked 1st and 2nd - OK
The fault occurs when the third box "Rebuild database" is also ticked. Hangs at exact same place as earlier poster.

My message has the suffix .new in it:

>>>
Problem with copying
M:\PORTABLE-Progs\MM\MediaMonkey 5\Portable\MM5.DB.new to
M:\PORTABLE-Progs\MM\MediaMonkey 5\Portable\MM5.DB
[Cancel] [Retry] [Ignore]
<<<

What steps should I consider? (both files are present at the location and I can write to the location ok).

Thanks,

Jim
--
Jim Kelly
MMW Lifetime Gold v5.0.4.2692 Portable install with 25,000 MUSIC tracks on a 2TB (Samsung T7) Portable SSD.
Microsoft Surface Book-2, 15" 3240x2160 Notebook Computer, 16gb, 1TB SSD.
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit , Version: 22H2, OS build: 19045.3448 with current patches.
Used as above about 50% of time, and the balance attached to a Microsoft Dock to:
LAN, 3.5mm audio-out, other storage, and two extra displays via Display-ports:
30" 2560x1600 and 24" 1920x1200 (in portrait orientation), MM5 is extended across these two displays.
Also use MMRemote to provide rating edits, volume, mute, next, prev, etc whilst mobile, via WiFi.
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

OK, I think I have found the reason.

Of 12,500 files, 174 tracks suddenly appeared that had a recurrence of an earlier problem.
The path of all my music begins M:\Music\ . . . and M: is a fast mSD card formatted in NTFS that lives in the available slot in my pretty fast w10 notebook.

The 'path' displayed by MM5's lists has changed to:
[Jim-MASTER]\Music\ . . .
and in the "Locate moved/missing files" results the old path was deemed to be slightly different at:
MJim-MASTER]\Music\ . . .

EDIT:
The details of these path changes should lead to nailing this BUG.
Jim-MASTER
was/is the name of the mSD storage card as set during formatting or via it's Properties > General.
This name has been the same name for weeks.
END EDIT.

I have had a very clean database over the recent days of use ( no dead links, no duplicated content, no problems "rebuilding database", etc).

BUT I have been renaming the "Occassion" nodes to include a number at their beginning to regain control over their sort order.
It was all going well and then I began to see "Cannot update tags" too quick to read properly, sorry. As renaming the nodes causes ripples through the existing files nicely (I have several entries in each track, now named like this EG: 2.Dinner; 3.Party; 8.Driving).

I certainly did not get any feeling that the disk access was a problem, however I had no feedback from MM as the writing process must have been happening - as you know there often is tiny writing to help warn us that there is unfinished activity. But some of the actions that I was doing would have been causing thousands of tags to be updated without anything in the status areas.

I hope that this report helps you find the bug, and will refrain from any more such adjustments until I get your advice.

Oh: It was the "Locate moved/missing files" that quickly found the files and updated them for me. The Database manager could then complete the maintenance without hanging!

Best wishes,

Jim Kelly
Last edited by Jim Kelly on Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
Jim Kelly
MMW Lifetime Gold v5.0.4.2692 Portable install with 25,000 MUSIC tracks on a 2TB (Samsung T7) Portable SSD.
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit , Version: 22H2, OS build: 19045.3448 with current patches.
Used as above about 50% of time, and the balance attached to a Microsoft Dock to:
30" 2560x1600 and 24" 1920x1200 (in portrait orientation), MM5 is extended across these two displays.
Also use MMRemote to provide rating edits, volume, mute, next, prev, etc whilst mobile, via WiFi.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't need the files to be present to be able to edit them in MediaMonkey. Obviously nothing will be saved to the files, but MediaMonkey will save it to its database.

When the drive letter disappears as it did for you it indicates that Windows assigned the drive a different driveID. MediaMonkey uses driveID instead of drive letter to make working with portable drives easier (as they may have different drive letters over time). This is easily fixed by re-assigning the drive (which is recommendable over Locate Moved/Missing Files).
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

This seems unlikely as only a few of the tracks had become affected - the others worked fine and were all on the exact same storage device that was never disconnected let alone changed.

By the way,
Jim-MASTER
was the name of the mSD storage card as set during formatting or via it's Properties > General.
It has been the same name for weeks.
I have added this above too.

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Kelly