mp3tag's allmusic.com implementation

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Steegy

Post by Steegy »

This is about the latest build:
< Data removed. It will be available later, on a separate page. >
I hope you'll like it (as it is up to now).

Cheers
Steegy
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Changes: (not yet posted)
- command line usage has been updated and fixed for the new version
- command parameter SI has been changed to SN (script number), so if you want to start with script number 2, use /SN:2
- added command parameter S, to automaticly start searching (obviously only works when the program knows what to search for, by specifying G (get tracks from MM)). The first track needs to have the necessary info (e.g. AllMusicGuide requires an album name, so this has to be available in the song's tags).

Typical use could be: C:\Program Files\Web Sources Tagger\Web Sources Tagger.exe /G /SN:5 /S
This would Get the selected songs from MM, load the script specified by the Script Number, and automaticly Start searching/downloading.

ADDITION: Now I also added command parameter NI (New Instance). The default behaviour when the program opens has been changed. If there's already an instance open, that instance is shown instead of creating a new one. If you really need a new instance anyway, you can use the NI parameter.
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

I have made a small Script Reference, for those brave people that want to create/improve script files for WebSourcesTagger.

Here it is: < Data removed. It will be available later, on a separate page. >
It is not meant to be something new, but it's a more clear and up-to-date documentation of the scripting usage for WST. It's an addition to Mp3Tag's documentation.

I advise to first read Mp3Tag's reference to get the idea, and then read the above linked page to see what's possible with WST.
Also, there are several script files available as example: included in the installer, and from Mp3Tag's site.

If anything isn't clear, please ask me. If suitable, I'll add it to the reference.
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wahoo67

Help Using it

Post by wahoo67 »

Feeling pretty dumb but I can't figure out how to use this right. I installed the program, installed .net, import a bunch of songs, then what? Do I type each song into the search box? I'm trying to tag a ton of songs (thousands) efficiently. I have to believe that you guys aren't typing each song in, are you? After I type the song and do a search sometimes I see a match, if I do I select it but I can't get it to update the track in the bottom window. Sorry if this is all really obvious but I can't figure it out! Thanks for your help.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

This is certainly not a dumb question. The interface of the program only gives minimalistic information; that's to save as much place as possible on screen, in order to see more useful information.
I'll see what I can do to make things more clear, without losing any space. Maybe more/better infotips (? the yellow info rectangles when you stay with your mouse above a control like the search button). I could also include a message box that explains the process, when the application is started for the first time.

Web Sources Tagger (WST) is made to look and work a bit like MediaMonkey's built-in "Auto-tag from Amazon". It searches for complete albums on sites like AllMusicGuide and Amazon. You can't search for individual songs.
The box in the upper left corner gives you an idea of what you can search for. If you're using Amazon, the box shows Any, what means that you can use "anything" related to the album you want. This can be the Album Artist, Album, Tracks, Composer, ASIN code (Amazon-specific), ...
The interface is still beta-alike, but is almost fully functional.

How the searching works (best way):
- Choose the web source by clicking the arrow on the search button, and select what you want.
- Click the "GetFromMediaMonkey" button to get the tracks selected in MediaMonkey, and load them into WST.
- The search text will automaticly be created using to the first selected track, according to what is shown in the upper-left box (what you are expected to search for on a specific source). Type in/edit the search text, using the indication in the upper-left box. (e.g. type in "Madonna" if the box says Artist).
- Click the search button
- Wait a bit. You'll see the search progress in the lower-right corner. Very shortly, the first found album will be shown.
- You can see the album properties and the track properties (also look at the Review and Extra tab pages).
- To select another album, click on the arrow of the search box combobox or use the listview. The listview is hidden by default and can be made visible by pulling the separator bar above the album group box down.
- You can change the album properties (Review, Extra fields and fields on the left of the screen) and you can change the resulting track properties (listview on the bottom of the screen).
- Check the tracks you want to tag and click the "TagToMediaMonkey" button.

Once you get to know the program, you will find the more advanced options and learn how to tag every possible field in MediaMonkey, automaticly resize album art, automaticly split song title in artist and title, ...

Cheers
Steegy
tinana

Post by tinana »

Hmmm, here's *my* dumb question:

I'm getting an error message which states the following...

Error# -2147024894
File: "C:\program files\media monkey\scripts\auto\websourcescripts.vbs", Line:29, Column:2

Which stupid thing did I do? :D :o :roll:
Unlord

Post by Unlord »

im getting this error when i click the TagToMediaMonkey button after a succesful search

Error
There was a problem querying the database:
23000:[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'Medias'
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Ah, the cause of the error is clear: you are tagging songs that are not in your library (you're browsing the My Computer node or something like that). My application asks to update the database, but because it isn't in the database, it throws an error. I'll fix it right away.

Thank you for reporting. This is one of the things I didn't test.

Cheers
Steegy
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

OK, here's a new version, with the above mentioned "bug" fixed (workaround for MediaMonkey) and some small improvements.
Now the auto-"track/artist"-splitter is available again too.

UPDATED (16:05 GMT):
- Automaticly apply the album/track properties when you manually match a song in the bottom-listview (by changing the #).
(# = position of the source track in the central listview the song is matched with)
- Fixed a small issue

< Data removed. It will be available later, on a separate page. >
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unlord

Post by Unlord »

yes that fixed it, i was testing with stuff not in my library, also i like to have stuff tagged before i add it to the library :p
on messing with it some more, it dosent seem to tag the rating for the album from amg. this might be your intent tho, since i dont know how many people want to trust someone else's rating.
awesome work, much appreciated :)
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Hmm.. I even didn't include tagging to the rating field of MediaMonkey. Would you like that? Maybe with some ability to use a conversion formula or something (in the options of in the script file). Because usually rating scores are different for those that MM uses.
Personally I didn't like the idea and didn't include it, but I see that other people can like this and I'll include it.
I'll add support both track-based as album-based rating.

Just to be clear: the rating (album rating) that is received from AMG is used as Extra field. Extra fields and the Review field can't be tagged yet. But they will be added as parameter for the tagging masks in the options dialog.

Great you like it. And thank you for the feedback. It really helps in this stage of the program.

Cheers
Steegy
Unlord

Post by Unlord »

i think im kinda like you as in i wouldnt want to use them myself, but i could see that others could want to, it was just something i noticed while messing around with it. and im not sure what you mean by a conversion formula, but you probably know better than i do :p
saltydog4791

Post by saltydog4791 »

This seems like one fantastic program but unfortunately I can't get it to work at all. This is on a fresh install of MM and this program. I already had .net installed. By the way I have my windows install on E:, not C:.

The exception I get is "Could not find a part of the path 'c:\WST_Index.htm'

Any ideas as to what this means? I have done some searching but I am coming up blank. Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.

saltydog4791
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Hmmm, this probably means that you don't have a C: at all. Is this correct? I'll stille have to put these "logs" in WST's program folder.
That remembers me to put error handling on these file operations too, because there probably are people who don't have write permissions to c: (like on a corporate computer) who would have the same problem.
Unlord

Post by Unlord »

ive been messing with this a bit more, and im not sure if its me or what, but i tried to search about ... 20ish albums, and id say about 10 of them didnt return anything near the correct album, about 5 of them had the album later in the pull down list, and about 5 of returned the correct album. as an example, i just tried searching for the album "a fine day to exit" on amg, and it returned the anathema album as the first result, but when i search the same album name in the tagger, i get an odd list, mostly of anthologies, but i cant tell where the relation to the searched words and the results is. is there something wrong in my setup?