Synch 2 MM machines together

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jmcquigg

Synch 2 MM machines together

Post by jmcquigg »

I have 2 PCs in 2 different rooms, both with MM. I would like to use one as the primary player, and use the 2nd MM machine to play the stream from the first one, so that both are in synch across both rooms.

From looking at the other threads plus playing around with a million different things, I'm starting to realize this isn't possible.

Is this possible?

I'm looking into letting the AV receivers do the work, but there are problems with splitting Audio out from an HDMI signal (most receivers can't do it for some dumb reason). If I can solve that then I could run an analog line between the 2 receivers and the problem can be solved that way.

Thanks,
Jeff M.
Lowlander

Re: Synch 2 MM machines together

Post by Lowlander »

jmcquigg

Post by jmcquigg »

yeah this isn't what I m looking for - I already have this working. This is access to the library so you can play it independently on another machine.

I want one machine to tap into which is actually being played live on the other machine. In other words, party mode in 2 zones. So MM would need to broadcast the music over the network, and another device would have to pick it up.
jmcquigg

Post by jmcquigg »

so it seems that I can't get MM to be a DLNA client of another MM machine. WMP can browse the library just fine, and my MM can browse other DLNA devices (like my NAS) just fine. But plugging both of them together isn't working in any manner.

The silly thing is that remote desktop actually does the trick just fine - kinda weird when you think about it. Not optimal of course, but it is a back-up plan.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It works fine here. MMW is streaming from MMW on another PC.

d_USBMass1.dll can be used to sync to a drive letter and you can map a network location to a drive letter to sync: http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... e-plug-in/
jmcquigg

Post by jmcquigg »

that link is not what I'm after. I'm not talking about file synch or library synch or library access.

I still don't see how the original link will synch the real-time audio together across 2 MM servers.

Has anyone done this before?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is possible to share MM.DB across two PCs but due the design of SQLite it can be slow and not fully reliable.

The best option for now is to put your files on network and than scan them and then copy MM.DB to second PC, Unfortunately they will not be in Sync.

Another option is that you Enable DLNA server on One PC and access it using second one.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

If I understand correctly, the request is to have one server streaming simultaneously to two DLNA renderers, so that two machines can play a track synchronously. I remember seeing a post by Lowlander not long ago that stated this feature was in consideration but it's very difficult to implement because every renderer acts a little differently. E.g. you can send the command to play simultaneously but one renderer may buffer for two seconds before playing and the other buffers for four seconds before playing so they do not play in sync.
PhilDG

Post by PhilDG »

This is possible and I have it working. I have multiple DLNA renderers in the house and using allplay jukebox (on android-not sure about iOS) you can group 2 or more renderers. The in MM, right-click on the MM player and select the DLNA renderer you want and then play what you want.

If you expose the MM DNLA in the options somewhere, it should be possible to play on multiple windows machines too in theory.