Sync between two Computers

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Sync between two Computers

Post by Lowlander »

DLNA provides playback only, no write access. MediaMonkey Server (early Alpha) in combo with MediaMonkey 5/MMA2 would provide a better setup: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=90809

Related: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... vironment/
Schniz2

Post by Schniz2 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:28 pm DLNA provides playback only, no write access. MediaMonkey Server (early Alpha) in combo with MediaMonkey 5/MMA2 would provide a better setup: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=90809

Related: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... vironment/
Thanks Lowlander. Is there any risk of messing up my library using a beta version? Don't want to lose hours spent rating songs/organising.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMW5 is in late stage beta and creates a copy of your database.

MMS is in early alpha though, so that's something to be really cautious about.
Mototunes

Post by Mototunes »

I've spent hours trying to get this to work with MM4 Gold based on the info on this page: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... vironment/, (specifically 'Sharing your Media Files' and 'Sharing the MediaMonkey Database') but the instructions are not clear & I haven't been able to get them to work. I feel that if they were explained in a way that's relative to my requirements, which are pretty much the same as the original poster & most of the people who've posted here over the years, they might work.

What I Need

1) Keep everything (all app settings [UI], music; ratings, renames, notes, additions, deletions, playlists, etc...), sync'd between 2 PCs on a home network with a NAS
2) Store & access all music files in a shared NAS location
3) Have the ability to use 1 PC offline & still have some music on it to play (ie: music in certain playlists?), similar to how it works with my Android phone

Is my only choice, REALLY, to pay more for these highly-requested, common features in your incomplete/problematic-in-yet-unforeseen-other-ways ALPHA & BETA version 5 release products!? I liked what I originally saw in your v4 product & I supported you with my purchase of a gold version, but it is lacking these basic & needed functions. I have been watching & waiting & spending all kinds of time with your complex suggested methods over the years (this thread was created in 2013!), but I'm not a programmer, nor a daily user of your app, so I don't know all the tech details: I just need it to work!

So, can someone please explain to me if what I'm looking for is possible with v4, & if so, explain it clearly?

Thank you
Peke

Post by Peke »

HI,
I'll try to explain in as much details as possible.

1. It is not entirely possible as both PCs need to have exact same resolution and that both PCs do not access same Library at same time (SQLite which MM uses as library format for speed and stability do not support concurrent access to same library file from two different applications or location)

2. You first need to setup MM as portable application on one PC (Portable option is selected during install) then scan all your files using UNC paths not Mapped drive letters as that way paths will be the same on any PC you start MM. After that you need to copy Portable installation folder to your NAS on shared resource so that both PCs can access it and start application directly from shared resource. That way both PC access same library, files and playlists and manage them exactly the same.

3. I do not understand hat you are talking about as you are talking about two completely different access and listening protocols. MMA access shared resources by using UPnP/DLNA protocol and Windows MM access shared resources using Windows networking Samba/SMB/CIFS protocol, which are two completely different things. MMA can't maintain playlists over DLNA as that protocol do not have remote playlist and file management.

Point of article you refer is to present proof of capability even not supported natively, but it is for advanced users that know what they are doing and acknowledging that even it works it is not 100 fool proof and stable. Only solution in your case is that MM is started as NAS application/service to act as server, which will allow you to access files and playlists for any MM that acts as a client. We already started to remedy and create such application as Free MediaMonkey Server viewforum.php?f=31 but it will take some time till it is in fully working state for daily use and on various NAS devices.

What NAS make and model you use?

All above is explained with testings of MM5 and not MM4 because MM4 proved to be unstable and simply not designed to fully work in network enviroment at time of design (MM4 is based on app design and behavior tech from 15 years ago).

If there is any unclear stuff please let us know and we will try to clear them.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts