Windows Phone 8 [#10137]

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

altano

Windows Phone 8 [#10137]

Post by altano »

Hello All,

Windows Phone 8 (specifically a Nokia Lumia 920 in my case) comes with some pretty crappy sync software. But, on the upside, the phone presents itself as a normal USB device allowing drag & drop of files onto the device and using software like MediaMonkey.

I just gave it a test run and it seems to work for most of my library, but for some reason MM won't sync my Xbox Music (formerlly Zune Pass) files to the device. These files are DRMed WMA files. I don't expect to be able to play them using MM, but I would expect to be able to copy them to the device. After syncing is complete, I get an error that there were problems copying certain files, and MM then lists all the Zune Pass files.

Is there any way I can work around this? I'm happy to investigate the issue if anyone would like more info.

Thanks,
alan
altano

Re: Windows Phone 8

Post by altano »

I actually figured this out (sort of) but thought I'd post for others who are experiencing the same issue.

These Zune Pass files were originally downloaded through Zune for syncing to Windows Phone 7 directly. When I try to manually drag & drop these files with Explorer, I get this error:

"Cannot copy XXXXXXXX.wma - The license for this content does not allow copying it to a portable device."

So this has nothing at all to do with MediaMonkey. You just cannot copy files that you've downloaded through Zune to your Windows Phone 8 over USB. It seems like it has to go through some program like the Windows Phone desktop software.

*SHRUG*
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know about Windows Phone 8, but up till 7.5 this basically had to be done with Microsoft software (same for the Zune media player).

You may want to read: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... dows+phone
hardera

Sync settings to Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8

Post by hardera »

I am using MediaMonkey 4.0.7 on Windows 8 and am trying to get my playlist to sync properly to it. Here are my results thus far:
- MediaMonkey sees the Nokia Lumia 920 but doesn't have a profile available for it (if there was one, then perhaps the settings would be set properly to avoid the issues).
- MediaMonkey goes through a sync process and doesn't report any errors.
- Only about 5 of the 100 songs are synced to the Lumia 920.
- Only about 2 of the 5 songs show their album art.
- Most of the 100 songs are songs ripped from CDs by MediaMonkey.

Has anyone had success syncing to Windows Phone 8? If so, did you use special sync file conversion settings?
winterminute

Post by winterminute »

How did you get MM to see the 920? I've just downloaded/installed it on my Win7 machine, but it doesn't see an MTP device or a USB device. I can browse the device via Explorer (and sync via WP8 tool) so the drivers should be installed correct.
RandomEngy

Post by RandomEngy »

Yeah I'm trying to get MediaMonkey to sync from Win8 but when I browse the files on the phone it doesn't have a drive letter. So it doesn't exactly seem it's a USB mass storage device.
winterminute

Post by winterminute »

Rather than hijack this topic which is about sync failures, I've created a new topic to address the fact that MM doesn't even see my 920. Hope everyone is cool with that.
cncb

Windows 8 Phone: Cover art missing for many tracks

Post by cncb »

I have a new Windows 8 Phone and cover art seems to be missing for at least half of the synced tracks. All the tracks are similar MP3s from Amazon with embedded cover art but cover art just seems to inexplicably work for some tracks and not others. I have tried using both the 'folder.jpg' and embed cover art in tags sync options (clearing the device each time) but for the these tracks the cover art never shows up? Any ideas?
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I guess it's best to send in debug logs (step 4b) and send them to support for these issues as I don't the team has tested with Windows Phone 8 and with Microsoft's track record it's MTP implementation might have proprietary settings: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69
baseballbert

Music not showing up on Lumia 920

Post by baseballbert »

Great program btw, any way, the music/playlists I'm sending over aren't showing up in the Music/Video hub after I sync. It does however show up on the phone going through the folders in explorer (artists). Can't see the new artists on the phone either after the sync.

When I try to sync the same playlist multiple times, MM says the phone is full. On the phone, it shows I've still got room to sync.

Anyone have any ideas they can shoot over? Thanks!
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Lowlander

Re: Windows Phone 8 [#10137]

Post by Lowlander »

A debug log (step 4b) send to support would be helpful: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69