[1494] Updated tags don't sync [#9371]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

jcoons72

[1494] Updated tags don't sync [#9371]

Post by jcoons72 »

If I update tags (tried album, artist, track #, disk #, album artist, genre, artwork) in a track that is synced with my iphone 4S, the tags update in the library and on the file, but they do not resync with the correct tags to the iphone. Repro steps:

1. Find a track on the device that is tagged wrong.
2. Update the tags via MM (I used Genre)
3. Sync the device.
4. The file doesn't change on the device.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Jim
Last edited by jcoons72 on Thu May 31, 2012 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
jcoons72

Re: [1492] Updated tags don't sync

Post by jcoons72 »

Is this expected behavior? Should I just delete the file on my iphone and resync it manually? What's best practice here?

Thanks!

Jim
rusty

Re: [1492] Updated tags don't sync

Post by rusty »

Hi Jim,

Thanks. I can replicate. Tracked at http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9371

-Rusty
jcoons72

Re: [1492] Updated tags don't sync [#9371]

Post by jcoons72 »

Hey Rusty,

I tried this with 1493, and it still isn't working. I tried both Title and Genre. It looks like it's removing old content but it never does. :(

Do you want a debug log?

Let me know,

Jim
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

This sounds quite impossible to me, because the old track is deleted before it is replaced by the re-synced (new) track.

To be sure that we are doing the same things.

My steps were:
1. Selected one track in MediaMonkey (located on HDD) and right-clicked it, selected Send to->iPod Touch 4G
=> track was copied to /iTunes_Control/Music/F04/_Air.mp3
2. Changed tags of the selected track (located on HDD) and repeated step 1, i.e. right-clicked it, selected Send to->iPod Touch 4G
=> track was copied again to /iTunes_Control/Music/F04/_Air.mp3 and the file contains the updated tag (file size differs from the old one and match the new one on the HDD)

What are your steps?
jcoons72

Post by jcoons72 »

The track is part of an auto playlist that is synced to the iPhone. As I add more tracks to the playlist, they get auto sync hed to the device. But when I change the tags on songs in the playlist, they don't trigger the auto sync. I haven't tried manually synching them...I can try that tomorrow.

Jim
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I can repro when doing the auto-sync, but looking the code it seems that it has never worked for devices without known drive letter (that aren't part of file system).

Will be fixed in build 1494.
jcoons72

Post by jcoons72 »

Thanks Ludek! I'll be sure to test it and let you know if it's working before the next pending release.

Jim
jcoons72

Re: [1494] Updated tags don't sync [#9371]

Post by jcoons72 »

In 1494, the tags are updated with a manual sync (sent to iphone), but they are not automatically fixed via the auto-sync. I have an album that I have set up for auto-sync. I changed the title of one of the tracks, then did a sync. The status bar showed that it was removing old tracks, but I didn't get a confirmation window pop up about deleting songs off the device and nothing was changed on the device. I also verified in MM under the iphone --> music and the tag wasn't changed there either.

Hope this helps!

Jim
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Strange, it works fine for me with 1494, but there is a rerfesh issue that could confuse you, see bellow:

1. Auto-synced one playlist to my iTouch 4, iOS 5.1.1
2. Changed title of one song under the Playlists node directly in the MediaMonkey playlist (by using F2 key)
3. Clicked auto-sync again
=> the file was transferred to the device, new title appears in the device, new file is there
but you are true that new title doesn't appear under iTouch->Music node in MediaMonkey interface until you hit F5 to refresh?
So it is rather a refresh issue in MediaMonkey interface, could you confirm?

BTW. If you go to Tools->Options->Library->Tags & Playlists
Do you have
'[x] Update tags when editing properties' checkbox
checked?
jcoons72

Post by jcoons72 »

Yep, now it's working. Not sure what I did differently. I tested editing the track in the playlist and also just doing a global search and editing it there (making sure it was the version that was synced). Everything is working now. Thanks so much! I thought maybe it had something to do with confirm deleted tracks being checked, but I tested both checked and unchecked, and it worked both ways.

Thanks again! I'll look for other issues today since this is RC. I'm sure you guys are eager to release a new version to the public!

Jim
jaidek

Post by jaidek »

I have been having a bit of a different issue with the current version (4.0.6.1501) of MediaMonkey. If I edit a genre on the iPhone itself, the tags are never saved onto the device. Should tags only be edited locally on the HDD then re-synced to the iPhone? Or is there a way to submit the changes made to files on the device?

Thanks!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jaidek wrote: Should tags only be edited locally on the HDD then re-synced to the iPhone?
Yes.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
clymbon

Post by clymbon »

I see that this is supposedly working, but I'm having a problem with it, using MM 4.1.10.1778 and Ecoute app on iPhone.

Here are the steps:

1. I have an album on my HDD, with tracks that have different values for the "Album Artist" tag.
2. Add these tracks to a playlist.
3. Sync the playlist to the iphone - using Auto Sync
4. Whoops - ecoute shows each track as a different album. (Expected behavior due to different "Album Artist" tags.)
5. Fix the tags on HDD, all now have "Album Artist" set to "Various"
6. Re run Auto Sync
7. Ecoute still shows each track as a different album.

To fix:
1. Using MM, select the tracks on the iPhone device and delete them
2. Run Auto Sync

Problem fixed.

But it appears that the tags are not getting updated. Or possibly the problem is that the app on the iPhone is not reading the new tags.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you checked if the native music app shows the updated tags or not?