Drive Insanity

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

danegeld

Drive Insanity

Post by danegeld »

I have two external Maxtor USB drives containing my entire music collection, one is H: and the other is I:.

If I add songs from drive I:, the path is automatically converted to H:, even though MM is reading the files from drive I:. So of course it then can't find the files it just added! It won't allow me to change the drive to I:. If I unplug drive H:, then it converts the path to I: and everything works fine. Except that then I can't access anything on drive H:. In other words, MM insists that if both drives are plugged in, they are drive H:, which is totally wrong.

I've looked at some of the posts having to do with drive IDs, but because these are external and USB, I can't even retrieve the IDs to find out if they're the same, let alone change them. It would seem to me that basing the MM logic on drive IDs instead of the OS letter assignments is a bad idea.

I love this software and want to keep using it, but if I have to keep plugging and unplugging drives, there's not much point in using it.

Is there a solution for this dilemma?
jiri

Post by jiri »

This issue is already solved and you will be able to try it out in a couple of days when the version 2.0.2 is out (or at least 2.0.2 beta 2). Since this version not only serial numbers are used, but also drive letters help in case of any ambiguity in serial numbers.

Jiri
rusty

Drive insanity with multiple external drives

Post by rusty »

MM 2.0.2 Beta 2 has just been posted to the beta forum.

Please let me know if it solves your problem--we've only tested with multiple identical regular HDs.

thx.

-Rusty