Detailed Song Info Panel v1.21 (Updated 31 May 2006)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

psyXonova

Detailed Song Info Panel v1.21 (Updated 31 May 2006)

Post by psyXonova »

First attemp to create a dockable version of this script failed, although still not sure why...
After the latest MM bug fixes along with some changes in the code of the script i think the problem is solved.
You can find the download link at the end of this post
This way you can disable the player, now Playing and AlbumArt toolbars.
Because i believe that a lot of ppl will also like a stand-alone version of the panel (so you can have MM minimised) from now on this script will contain both functions.

As for other changes, nothing has really changed. But i plan to add a lot of funtionality to this plugin so expect more.

Ok, as you can see from the title this is a script that displays a panel (like a pseudo-sidebar) that contains a comprehesive list of the most important song details.
It displays info only for the song being played (using MM player) Confused?... Here is a screenshoot:

This panel currently is read only, meaning you cannot update track properties from this panel (yet).

To start the panel go to Tools>>Scripts>>Display Detailed Song Info Panel.

To view the source code, locate the SongInfo.hta (inside the scripts folder) and open it with notepad.

One last thing: this panel is not a dialog of MM, it is an indepented window. This has pros and cons (e.g you can have the MM minimized and see all the track details in a glance)

EDIT

Its been a while since I started learning how to script and after of few rather unsuccessful attempts, in terms of usefulness, I’ve managed to create a script that I like to use all the time. Besides that it seems that other MM users liked my script too.
This is why I decided to extend the functionality of this script.
You may have noticed that I jumped from version 1.02 to 1.1, but there is a good reason for that: the new panel is far more useful and attractive to use than the (not so) old one.
Here is a list of changes/additions to the new panel:
  • 1. Changed the way panel updates itself. In previous versions the panel was updating all its content every 5 seconds. As long as the panel contained few elements that was acceptable, but the new panel contains more elements (see bellow for details) and this behaviour needed much more resources than those really necessary for the panel to work.
    In 1.1, panel checks every 3 second to see if the current playing song has changed (a new playback has started) or has been updated. If any of those is true, panel updates its contents too. Keep in mind though that for the panel to know when a file has been updated the MM option “Update tags when editing properties” must be enabled.
    2. The panel now works for every screen resolution. So, when started for the first time, the panel will ask for your system resolution, save that info and afterthat each time it starts should go and “dock” at the right side of your screen and at the same time resizing itself to fit.
    3. Added a hide button (“>>” at the upper left corner). Click on it and make the panel small enough to easily forget its existence… Do you need it back? Just click the “<” bellow the monkey icon
    4. Changed the player control. Buttons look much better now, also added two new buttons that let you forward/backward the player.
    5. Added a new playlist element. This shows the next 15 songs in the “Now playing” list of MM player. Double click on any of those 15 songs and MM starts playing it!!
    6. Changed the way all the other elements are displayed. Now every “section” can be expanded or collapsed in a “Windows Explorer sidebar” flavour. This way you can keep expanded only the sections that are of your interest.
    7. Changed the layout and generally lots of improvements have been made to the UI.
    8. Added a refresh button. This way you can update panel’s contents whenever you want to (useful if you have the “Update tags when editing properties” option disabled)
    9. Added comments into the code, and generally I have made the code more readable (easier to edit and understand).

Known issues:

Sometimes, if you close MM before panel, MM is forced to restart and after that hangs. I strongly suggest to close the panel, before exiting MM.

This panel still hasn’t true “Always on top” or docking. Always on top can be achieved easily using the provided “power menu” third-party application (see screenshot bellow for usage). As for docking, I am still searching it but for now the panel provides dock-like options (always starts on the right side of the screen and can be hidden).
It seems like some firewalls dont allow the panel to get the screen resolution of your computer causing the script to give an error message. If this happens to you plz post it with your firewall version so we can figure it out.

To Do:
-Remember user preferences (expanded/collapsed sections)
-Customizable layout (order of sections, colours)
-Addition of all songs properties (e.g. length, composer)
-Album Art section being able to show more than one covers if available (eg front., label) either selectable (like MM Album Art panel) or in a slideshow (cooler!).
-Your requests here…..

Please comment and post bugs, suggestions.

Ts ts, i almost forget!!!
I cant make my script behave as always on top since hta's dont allow that. I have found a freeware utility though that can make every window "Always on top", minimize to tray and set tranparency (on Win2k\XP).
Since the author of this utility allows it i have included this small programm in my new setup. You will find those files inside the Scripts\DetailedInfoFiles folder. Just dbl click the powermenu.exe and unleash the magic. I strongly recommend it to you.
Here is a screenshoot on how to make any window always on top (or transparent)
For an even better experience you can add a shortcut to Powermenu.exe inside the Startup folder to automatically start it with windows. Its very light and (from my own experience) bug free.

Downloads:

Click hereto download the 1.21 version of the script with album art support. This scripts requires latest MM release.

Click hereto download the 1.02 version of the script with NO album ar support. This version should work fine with MM 2.4.

Hope you like it....
Last edited by psyXonova on Wed May 31, 2006 7:35 am, edited 14 times in total.
abrazor

awesome

Post by abrazor »

I really like it, great work psyx!!

It would be good to have it:

dock to MM

or

dock to the screen (left/right/top/bottom).

Keep working on it. I think it has potential to be included as a main MM feature in future.
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

Thanks Abrazor,
I will indeed keep working on it since it needs a lot more work to be done.
Just keep in mind that this script is not properly tested and may cause problems. Please report anything wrong about it..

Thnks again
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

Problems??? Oh my god! Who can I sue?? :wink:

No worries. I will post any problems I have. None yet.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Cool psyxonova i'll check it out!
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

When some songs load then I get the error

Object required:'ImageNew'

and then it doesnt update. I close the window and when I reopen it I get the same message and nothing displays.

Would you like me to send you an mp3 that it does this for?
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

Another error

Internet Explorer Error

Object Required: 'Falbum'

I have no idea why. Second time this error occured, and only half way through a song, not at the beginning.

After this error occurs the window doesnt update to the next track.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Got errors too. When I try to launch the script.

Code: Select all

Error #.2147024894 -
File: "C:\Program\MediaMonkey\Scripts\LaunchSongInfo.vbs", Line: 12, Column: 0
Followed by:

Error happened during script execution:
File cannot be found
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

I don't think it has to do with the file (mp3).
Those errors are coming from 2 new methods that were added by jiri at 2.5 and are not yet documented...
So, there is a big posibility that i am using those methods the wrong way....
Anyway, perhaps i should also post a version that doesn't inculde the AlbumArt feature. I am prety sure the rest of the script works just fine....
Jiri... HELP!
judas

Post by judas »

Im getting the same error message Bex is getting...
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

Bex wrote:Got errors too. When I try to launch the script.

Error #.2147024894 -
File: "C:\Program\MediaMonkey\Scripts\LaunchSongInfo.vbs", Line: 12, Column: 0
Followed by:

Error happened during script execution:
File cannot be found
Bex, is there a SongInfo.hta inside the scripts folder?
This is the file that you error says is missing.
If the file exists, try to open it manually by double clicking it.. what happens?
judas

Post by judas »

In my case there is the songinfo.hta file...wjen i open it the panel does appear...
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

Well, i guess then that i don´t know why you get this error...
Please copy the following code to the LaunchSongInfo.vbs, after you delete everything inside it.

Sub Launch
Dim WShell, Command, Result
Set WShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Command = Chr(34) & "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts\SongInfo.hta" & Chr(34)
Result = WShell.Run(Command, 1, 1)
End Sub
Save the file and try to launch the panel again...

Ts ts, it is just a simple run command, it should run without any problems....
Does you AntiVirus report anything related?
Bex

Post by Bex »

Yes there is such a file and it opens fine! My antivirus complained but i told it to accept the script. Haven tested the new script but will do if a restart doesnt work!
judas

Post by judas »

Modified the file as advised, now I'm getting the same error, but on line 5:

Error #.2147024894 - 
File: "C:\Program\MediaMonkey\Scripts\LaunchSongInfo.vbs", Line: 5, Column: 0
th AV program does not report anything...

***strange***

BTW...on the installer..its a bit confusing wether to choose the Mediamonkey root folder or the scripts folder in it...