mm4

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

malachisecretspy

mm4

Post by malachisecretspy »

Hi all, Just a question thats been on my mind for a while now. The new mm4 is going to be video capable, so i suppose it will create associations for thses files aswell.I keep all video files i get on enhanced cd's and stuff in the same folder as the music from the cd aswell.Will these automatically be added to the library?What i mean is, if i view an album in mm, will the video file be visible with the songs?If i play the album, will the video automaticaly play with the songs from that same album...
I would like to be able to see it in my library along with the rest of the albums music, but i dont think i want a video to play when i choose to play the album.Sorry if i'm just being dumb,but anything to put my mind at rest would be great!!!!Hope you all understand my meaning.
Lowlander

Re: mm4

Post by Lowlander »

First of all I would just wait till MediaMonkey 4 arrives to see how it will work.

Video files will be treated just like music files now. That means you can choose to add to the library or not. And just like now you choose which tracks to play, don't want to play the video, don't select it for play. Location of files is irrelevant even now, it's the tags that dictate if it's part of an album or not.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

malachisecretspy wrote:Hi all, Just a question thats been on my mind for a while now. The new mm4 is going to be video capable, so i suppose it will create associations for thses files aswell.I keep all video files i get on enhanced cd's and stuff in the same folder as the music from the cd aswell.Will these automatically be added to the library?What i mean is, if i view an album in mm, will the video file be visible with the songs?If i play the album, will the video automaticaly play with the songs from that same album...
I would like to be able to see it in my library along with the rest of the albums music, but i dont think i want a video to play when i choose to play the album.Sorry if i'm just being dumb,but anything to put my mind at rest would be great!!!!Hope you all understand my meaning.
Hello.

In MM4 you'll be able to choose which formats you want associated with Mediamonkey. ( Tools --> Options --> General --> OS Integration. )
( Note that this option window will be brought up at first run after installation )

It will also be possible to choose which formats you want added to the library when you scan. ( File --> Add/Rescan Tracks to the library --> File Types. )

Also it will support collections. Meaning you'll be able to play only the music files if you choose so.
Last edited by Dreadlau on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Lowlander wrote:First of all I would just wait till MediaMonkey 4 arrives to see how it will work.
Mmm I certainly will not be using any video functionality.
To me MM is a player of music files not movies.
We are having to wait sooo long for MM4 coz of fancy functionality demanded by only a few.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's what a full version upgrade entails. It brings many big features which take a while to complete.

I would use the video functionality if I can use it for auto-tagging of TV/Movie files from online sources with data export capabilities to something like Meedios or XMBC or if MediaMonkey would have a HTPC friendly interface to navigate this video content. The tagging is probably doable as the content sites for it exist and the mechanism to access (scripts) exist as well. Even exporting is probably not an issue as XML files are probably all that's needed.
The interface I doubt will happen as it's been a long standing wish from many users.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MM4 already supports UPnP and network sharing, don't most media center players support that? In that case, would you even need to export anything? You could just connect to mm and the video files via the network.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

malachisecretspy wrote:Hi all, Just a question thats been on my mind for a while now. The new mm4 is going to be video capable, so i suppose it will create associations for thses files aswell.I keep all video files i get on enhanced cd's and stuff in the same folder as the music from the cd aswell.Will these automatically be added to the library?What i mean is, if i view an album in mm, will the video file be visible with the songs?If i play the album, will the video automaticaly play with the songs from that same album...

I keep my DVD's and BluRay disks backed up as ISO files to a big ass hard drive (BAHD), completely lossless no compression as it is an image. ISO files require installation of a "virtual" dvd drive to play them. Do you know will MM 4 allow be to "mount" an ISO file as as virtual disk to a virtual dvd drive letter? Will MM 4 installer also install a virtual dvd/optical drive to accomplishg this? That would be nice. Currently my media computer has HDMI and I use that and the BAHD with a virtual drive letter to play ISO movies, but I have to mount an ISO file to the drive with software that has no media organizational library like MM. On a 1080p 106 inch projector screen you really dont want to degrade the video by using mpeg's when you have a bluray movie on an ISO.
Peke

Post by Peke »

No you will still need to use some virtual CD app like deamon tools as MM will not capable to mount ISO files.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

VLC can play ISOs directly, without the need to mount.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Right, some features of VLC are really unique.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
thebrady

Post by thebrady »

MusicBringer wrote: Mmm I certainly will not be using any video functionality.
To me MM is a player of music files not movies.
We are having to wait sooo long for MM4 coz of fancy functionality demanded by only a few.
I think you're right that not many people will be using MM4 as their primary video player. I'm in that boat. That said, video support in MM4 is still EXTREMELY important to me for another reason.

Currently if you are a subscriber to any video podcast, upon synchronizing the video to an iPod you will only be able to hear the audio, you can't see the video. With MM4 video support this should be fixed and I can finally ditch iTunes 100% and uninstall that sad piece of software. So... while I don't plan on watching much video content within MM, it is of utmost importance that MM4 knows how to properly handle the video files if needed.

MediaMonkey I'm sure will remain a music-centric application, but it will definitely make my life a bit easier being able to view a few video podcasts with it.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i won't be using video's either but if the cd's have a preview of a upcoming video release of a song i'll show it in monkey.

but as for watching the youtube videos i get them in wmv format and the wmp shows them.

but if you look at the name mediamonkey you should realize that all sound and vedio formats was the goal from the start
of mediamonkey its been a while to realize that vedio part because of such high quality demand from the developers and the users of mediamonkey on the sound part. plus ove the years ms and mac have released many new os's that caused troubles in mediamonkey that needed fixed. that always slows down new features.

when you shoot for the highest goal it takes time for the ball to go up to it. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

rovingcowboy wrote:but if you look at the name mediamonkey you should realize that all sound and vedio formats was the goal from the start
MediaMonkey was first developed in 2001 under the name Songs-DB.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i know that but its old and gone i don't think theres much of the code for it left in mediamonkey.
some of the same look might be there but not much of the code as every thing changes.

but using the mediamonkey name you see they want to use video and music other wise they would have gone with audiomonkey.
:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

mm4 public alpha is now downloadable here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 56#p278637