Has anyone ever upgrade a touchscreen all-in-one HDD ?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

joebanana

Has anyone ever upgrade a touchscreen all-in-one HDD ?

Post by joebanana »

Hi there,

I have a Gateway All-in-One ZX4300 with a 500Gb HDD.
I want to put a 2TB drive in there so I can have all my music locally, instead of using my NAS (slow browsing with over 75k songs).

Has anyone ever done that? I contacted Gateway's support and they referred me to the specs which say up to 750Gb but I think this is in fact the bigger HDD they include in this model. It is a SATA 7200rpm drive, so I'm pretty confident a 2TB can work as well.

Thanks in advance :)
Peke

Re: Has anyone ever upgrade a touchscreen all-in-one HDD ?

Post by Peke »

Haven't used all in one PCs, but if you wanna listen to some tracks using Local HDD copy in MM library I see several issues (Duplicate files, Playcounts, Tag Sync, Playlists, ...)

To not sound all that bad MM have Virtual CD feature that will cache Tracks sent to Virtual CD onto local hdd designated folder which will prevent all above issues along with benefit that all cached tracks will be in located in single folder and easy to manage (removed or replaced with new tracks you wanna listen) while saving HDD space.

Personally when I worked as Party DJ more often I cached all tracks that I'm thinking to play on the party to Virtual CD and after I get back from party and reconnect Laptop to my Home LAN I just simply delete tracks from Virtual CD with few clicks without worry that I'll delete some tracks not on NAS. Same goes for all of my Audio CDs (600+) witch do not bring with me on parties but have needed tracks on one click until I remove them from Virtual CD.

Re original question: As PC Hardware expert. I doubt that you will have any issues with 2TB HDD unless PC power supply HDD do not allow 1-3% (Theoretically) increase of power usage with 2TB disk or maybe PC BIOS do not allow detection of Larger HDD than 750GB which would be very very stupid to limit as waht you will do if you connect 2TB external HDD enclosure. That is my 2 Cents.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
joebanana

Post by joebanana »

Actually I want my HDD locally just for speed matters.

What is on the NAS would then become a simple backup.

Anyway I guess I'll just open the case first to check the drive format (pretty sure is 3.5) and then I'll just try and see :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Exactly My point. I think that there is no right need for NAS unless you have number of computers using LAN. You will have both.

We have scheduled TO-DO about Networking speedups. Currently I do not have resources to do extensive tests on the matter (Current one do not allow me to do proper testing), but I hope that will change in the future.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
joebanana

Post by joebanana »

Quick update.

Turns out the all-in-one is almost impossible to open with breaking it. Since it is brand new, I chose not to break it :)
I also decided not to use a USB drive (mostly because of the constant noise).

However, I discovered a nice Windows XP feature, that is there since the beginning (so almost 10 years!!!), but that I never knew existed until last week:

Dynamic Disks and Spanned Volumes.

Now I have one big 6Tb volume from which I backup only the important data (music and pics mostly).
It's still not as quick as I would like it to be in MM, but I can live with it for now.