Toggle Add/Rescan

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Tursiops47

Toggle Add/Rescan

Post by Tursiops47 »

Updated to v3.2, Program suggested rescanning all to make sure my album art was entact. Toggled to scan everything (not just new entries). Forgot to toggle again after completion. Now <INSERT> rescans everything in a folder rather than new entries. Please refresh my memory; what's the menu path to toggle rescanning?
nohitter151

Re: Toggle Add/Rescan

Post by nohitter151 »

Add/rescan always scans whole folders, there's no way to know what is new and what is already in the library.

However, if you have Gold you can just enable file monitor in the options, and disable start-up scanning altogether. You only need start up scanning if you are planning to use other applications to edit your files while MM is closed and you want MM to pick up on those changes when you open it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Tursiops47

Post by Tursiops47 »

Thanks nohitter151. I have Gold. Understand it scans the whole folder each scan. However, in former toggled position it scoots right over all the "already in there" listings (like 1000 in 10 seconds) and just slows down to add the info to the library for new entries from the folder. Right now it's acting like it's rewriting ALL entries.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That is controlled by Tools > Options > Library and the option for "Update track info from tags when rescanning files" and it's sub-option "only for files with changed timestamp or size". Are you sure both are selected and if so that no other application is modifying the timestamp or size?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Isn't File Monitoring now available in the free version in 3.2??
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Tursiops47

Post by Tursiops47 »

Never mind. I found it! The instructions were part of the Readme.txt file and I found it in my MM3 folder!
FWIW in case others forget, "press <insert> to get to the 'Add Tracks' dialog. Press the 'Options' button and uncheck 'Only for files with changed timestamp or file size'..."
That's the toggle I was trying to remember: <Insert> <Options> Only for files...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nynaevelan wrote:Isn't File Monitoring now available in the free version in 3.2??
Yes.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Tursiops47 wrote:Never mind. I found it! The instructions were part of the Readme.txt file and I found it in my MM3 folder!
FWIW in case others forget, "press <insert> to get to the 'Add Tracks' dialog. Press the 'Options' button and uncheck 'Only for files with changed timestamp or file size'..."
That's the toggle I was trying to remember: <Insert> <Options> Only for files...
If you uncheck, then it will actually update all tracks from track metadata, which should actually take longer than having it checked!

Tursiops47

Post by Tursiops47 »

nohitter151 wrote:If you uncheck, then it will actually update all tracks from track metadata, which should actually take longer than having it checked!
Yep. I'd unchecked to confirm all my album art made it over from v3.0 to v.3.2, but forgot to toggle it back to checked state for adding occasional tunes.
Unchecked it took like 20 minutes to add 1 tune to a 3880 mp3 files folder! Now that it's checked it's like 2 seconds. All better. Thanks. Case closed.