Find Similar Tracks - V1-3

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

raybeau528

Find Similar Tracks - V1-3

Post by raybeau528 »

This script uses a seed track to find similar tracks in your library. Matching tracks are optionally copied to the
Now Playing window, an existing playlist, or a new playlist.

Go to Tools/Options/Find Similar Tracks to set these options:

Delimiter
Fields: Genre, Custom1,Custom2,Custom3,Custom4,Custom5,Grouping,Comment,Tempo,Mood,Occasion,Quality
Acceptable Match Error

Acceptable Match Error accepts a number between 0 and 3. A setting of 0 requires that every attribute from the
checked fields must also exist in the track to determine a match. A setting of 1 means that n-1 attributes must match.

For example, the genre from 3 tracks contain:

1 - Country; Bluegrass; Today's Country
2 - Country; Greatest Country Hits; Soft Country; Bluegrass
3 - Bluegrass

The genre from the seed track is Bluegrass;Country

If the acceptable match error is 0 then tracks 1 and 2 would match but if the acceptable error is 1 then all 3 would match because at least 1 out of 2 is found in each track. This is just a simple method to select tracks that might closely match but not exactly.

V1-3 Installation Package is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?j2ntmt2tjyn

History
13-Mar-2009 Friday the 13th
- Added ability to include classification fields Tempo,Mood,Occasion, and Quality
- Added ability to direct output to Now Playing, an existing playlist, or a new playlist
14-Mar-2009
- Added ability to limit results by tracks, size, and/or time.
Last edited by raybeau528 on Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Eyal

Re: Find Similar Tracks - V1-1

Post by Eyal »

Hi Raybeau,

This script looks powerful. I must try it. It could help be find and organize tracks in my genres mess.
raybeau528 wrote: A setting of 1 means that n-1 attributes must match.
Not sure I understand this. What does N represent?

I will experiment with it this evening and will give you feedback.

Thanks! :)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Ray:

This looks interesting and you know I am always eager to try new scripts but having my now playing list manipulated is not something I care for unless I choose to have it done. Any possibility to add an option to have the similar tracks go to a playlist? I could find many uses for this to be used but I would not always want the changes to take effect immediately.

EDIT: I also would like to have it set a limit, if I select my biggest genre I do not want the np to be filled with over 6000 tracks. I also wouldn't mind the classification fields if it's not too much trouble. :wink:

Nyn
Last edited by nynaevelan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Eyal wrote:
raybeau528 wrote: A setting of 1 means that n-1 attributes must match.
Not sure I understand this. What does N represent?
I take it to mean that N is the number of seeding Genres. So if you have three Genres seeding it, this setting would mean 3-1, thus two of the seeding genres have to match for it to be considered 'similar.'

EDIT: I said Genres, but I believe this script can be set up to use other fields, so you would just substitute Genres for whatever field you may be using.
raybeau528

Post by raybeau528 »

@eyal - Mizery_Made gave a good explanation. I'll try to add a little more.

Consider an auto playlist where you have:
genre="Blues"
Custom1 Contains "Acoustic Slide Guitar"
Custom2 Contains "Female Vocals"

In this case 'n' would be 3. All 3 criteria must be met to make a match. If you were using this script and
if 'n' was set to 1, then a track that had:
genre="Country"
Custom1 = "Acoustic Slide Guitar"
Custom2 = "Female Vocals"
would be selected as a match because 2 out of 3 (n-1) criteria was satisfied. That's where the Find 'Similar' comes in.
There's no fuzzy logic or AI involved. The best thing is to experiment and let me know how it works and/or if you get
the results you expected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Nyn - Yes, I expected that just sending to Now Playing might not be all that desirable but wanted to get a first version
out and get some feedback. What I'd like to do is collect several requests and implement them together rather than 1 at a time. Right now I'm particularly interested in feedback regarding how useful this script might be. Does it add value to the way you select/organize tracks, do you find this method easier than creating many auto-playlists, etc.

When I created my eCustom script, it was done with this in mind, adding many attributes to a track with the ability to easily find similar tracks, without using audio signatures etc. More in line with Pandora but obviously much simpler.

I've noted your 3 requests:
1. selective output to playlists, etc
2. limit the number of tracks selected
3. Use more/all of the classification fields

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Mizery_Made - yes, you can use any/all of the fields listed in the options panel.
raybeau528

Post by raybeau528 »

Find Similar Tracks can be used to implement a simple 'Style Guide'. Create a playlist, name it Styles. Create sub-playlists and name them indicating their styles. Insert a track in the playlist that represents that 'style'. Right-click on the playlist and select Find Similar Tracks.
raybeau528

Post by raybeau528 »

V1-2 Installation Package is now available:

- Added ability to include classification fields Tempo,Mood,Occasion, and Quality
- Added ability to direct output to Now Playing, an existing playlist, or a new playlist
raybeau528

Re: Find Similar Tracks - V1-2

Post by raybeau528 »

Eyal wrote: This script looks powerful. I must try it.
Eyal, just checking to see if you had an opportunity to try this script, if so, any feedback?

Thanks!

Ray
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Ray:

Nothing on this one??
nynaevelan wrote:
EDIT: I also would like to have it set a limit, if I select my biggest genre I do not want the np to be filled with over 6000 tracks. I also wouldn't mind the classification fields if it's not too much trouble. :wink:

Nyn

raybeau528

Post by raybeau528 »

Nyn:

???
...wanted to get a first version out and get some feedback. What I'd like to do is collect several requests and implement them together rather than 1 at a time. Right now I'm particularly interested in feedback regarding how useful this script might be. Does it add value to the way you select/organize tracks, do you find this method easier than creating many auto-playlists, etc.
raybeau528

Re: Find Similar Tracks - V1-3

Post by raybeau528 »

V1-3 is now available - Added ability to limit results by tracks, size, and/or time.
Aratorn

Post by Aratorn »

Where can i get it?
Its removed from the server!
raybeau528

Post by raybeau528 »

That's strange. I'll look into it.

Edit: I re-loaded it on the server. Can you try again?

Thanks!
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

raybeau528 wrote:Nyn:

???
...wanted to get a first version out and get some feedback. What I'd like to do is collect several requests and implement them together rather than 1 at a time. Right now I'm particularly interested in feedback regarding how useful this script might be. Does it add value to the way you select/organize tracks, do you find this method easier than creating many auto-playlists, etc.
:lol: :lol: I might have been caffeine free on that day....

Post by Guest »

The download link doesn't work, MediaFire says: Invalid or Deleted File