MM Suddenly won't play my music at all

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

VPSean

MM Suddenly won't play my music at all

Post by VPSean »

Hey guys,

Issue:
Suddenly, out of nowhere, MM won't play ANY songs. Not off my computer, not off external hard drives, and not off my iPod. If I double click one to play, it grays out as though it doesn't recognize the mp3, and moves on to the next one...It continues to do this over and over again and doesn't play anything. If I've got my entire library open (thousands and thousands of songs) and I try to play one, it ends up freezing pretty quickly as it starts to gray out each track one after the other way to fast for it's own good.

Here's what's extra strange: MM does know the tracks are there! Because if I don't try to play the tracks, but instead just try syncing tracks from my hard drive onto my iPod...they send them over fine!

So why would MM suddenly not be able to play music?

Thanks,
--Sean
rovingcowboy

Re: MM Suddenly won't play my music at all

Post by rovingcowboy »

wrong plugin ? try mad input plugin, and try the mp3pro plugin, see if they help.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
henk zelf

Post by henk zelf »

I had the same problem. I removed MM and installed it again. It work for me although the cause of the problem remains unclear.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

VPSean wrote:Hey guys,

Issue:
Suddenly, out of nowhere, MM won't play ANY songs. Not off my computer, not off external hard drives, and not off my iPod. If I double click one to play, it grays out as though it doesn't recognize the mp3, and moves on to the next one...It continues to do this over and over again and doesn't play anything. If I've got my entire library open (thousands and thousands of songs) and I try to play one, it ends up freezing pretty quickly as it starts to gray out each track one after the other way to fast for it's own good.

Here's what's extra strange: MM does know the tracks are there! Because if I don't try to play the tracks, but instead just try syncing tracks from my hard drive onto my iPod...they send them over fine!

So why would MM suddenly not be able to play music?

Thanks,
--Sean
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=94
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=90
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
VPSean

Post by VPSean »

Thanks guys! I did the uninstall reinstall option. That solved it :)

--Sean
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

glad you got it working
:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
jazzpilot2

Post by jazzpilot2 »

I've had the same problem with my MM Gold. Whatever you try to play from the libary MM brings the tracks up in the playlist but then constantly scrolls through the tracks and never stops on one. This seems to happen when I have tried to add some extra tracks to the library. I've found if I remove all tracks from the library only (not computer) and then reload them again everything is OK. I have no idea why this works but there is a bug some where.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jazzpilot2 wrote:I've had the same problem with my MM Gold. Whatever you try to play from the libary MM brings the tracks up in the playlist but then constantly scrolls through the tracks and never stops on one. This seems to happen when I have tried to add some extra tracks to the library. I've found if I remove all tracks from the library only (not computer) and then reload them again everything is OK. I have no idea why this works but there is a bug some where.
MediaMonkey shows files as greyed out for several reasons:
1. They are not accessible. This is usually the case if files are stored to a removable drive that is not connected or to a network location that is inaccessible. Resolve by connecting the drive or the network.
2. Specific files cannot be played due to various incompatibilities:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=90"
3. A network path is mapped to a drive letter. In some cases, this will not work correctly. The workaround is to scan the drive via it's UNC path. e.g. instead of J: use \\ip _address\J

mediamonkeyneedstofixtheirshit

Post by mediamonkeyneedstofixtheirshit »

nohitter151 wrote:
jazzpilot2 wrote:I've had the same problem with my MM Gold. Whatever you try to play from the libary MM brings the tracks up in the playlist but then constantly scrolls through the tracks and never stops on one. This seems to happen when I have tried to add some extra tracks to the library. I've found if I remove all tracks from the library only (not computer) and then reload them again everything is OK. I have no idea why this works but there is a bug some where.
MediaMonkey shows files as greyed out for several reasons:
1. They are not accessible. This is usually the case if files are stored to a removable drive that is not connected or to a network location that is inaccessible. Resolve by connecting the drive or the network.
2. Specific files cannot be played due to various incompatibilities:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=90"
3. A network path is mapped to a drive letter. In some cases, this will not work correctly. The workaround is to scan the drive via it's UNC path. e.g. instead of J: use \\ip _address\J
Because we're all idiots right... I think we can throw those 'reasons' out. This has happened 3 times now and I'm getting quite sick of it.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

mediamonkeyneedstofixtheirshit wrote: Because we're all idiots right... I think we can throw those 'reasons' out. This has happened 3 times now and I'm getting quite sick of it.
Not really sure what that is supposed to mean.

The only reasons why files would grey out are:
-They've moved from their original location
-The files are not accessible (in a read only folder or you don't have permissions to access them)
-Your input plugins are messed up somehow
-Your output plugin is messed up somehow

Just saying that they grey out doesn't help to differentiate any of these causes. If you would like more help, I'd suggest checking that the files are still where MM expects them to be, that you can still access them, that other programs are able to open them correctly, and if you can play them from the 'My Computer' node in MM as opposed to from your Library. Once you indicate these things, one can better assess the probable cause of this.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i know they are trying to find the reason the database is messing up. its just taking time,

as getting some help from you a little more info on step by step of how you are adding the songs in
when they are being grayed out would be a good idea.

you might not know what info will come of the step by step but when it is seen the developers can think of
the actions then taken by the software and look at what might be the cause of it.

i've gotten some errors on creating playlists as in exporting them from the older mm 2 version to the m3u format.
when i tired to do a lot at once the drive id was missing from all files after the 3rd m3u list was made.

now they can't find the reason for that but it also is dealing with the database what i think is causing it is some code error in the sql database table system, so if that is the same cause of your error they might have to redo the database again even though they did not code it just used it.
now i only think that because they can't find the reason for the dropping of the drive id any place in monkeys coding but something is doing it, and with the other database errors being reported it has to be something with the database. not being a programmer i can't pinpoint it down any closer then that. :(

but i don't seem to have the trouble in mm 3.0.3 of course i do get the not there grayed out lines now and then but thats cause i moved the songs out of the computer and put them in the other computer. so its my fault on that showing up on my system. :-?
javaman717

Not so much

Post by javaman717 »

Nope, none of this worked. Still grey-ing out everything for no reason. Nothing has changed on my computer, and I assure you the files are all accessible (Windows Media Player and every other player I own plays them just fine). What a piece of junk.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What file types fail to play?

You can confirm the failure to play by opening a track from Windows Explorer or from the My Computer node in MediaMonkey. If the track fails to play the issue is that the file type itself can't be played, which brings us back to what file types fail to play?
rovingcowboy

Re: Not so much

Post by rovingcowboy »

javaman717 wrote:Nope, none of this worked. Still grey-ing out everything for no reason. Nothing has changed on my computer, and I assure you the files are all accessible (Windows Media Player and every other player I own plays them just fine). What a piece of junk.
if you have posted in this thread before, then use the same name so we know who you are in the
above replys.

if you have not posted here before. then your adding to a thread that is over a year old, and the situation for your errors might be a little different then the above posters.

but giving us no information and wanting us to help is impossible cause we cant read your mind or see through your eyes without you telling us what is going on.

follow my signitures link to the page to find out what info to tell us if you don't know.
but tell us more info or stop calling monkey a bad program.
it works for 90% of the others and the 10% that have troubles are telling us all the info they can so it can be fixed.
muse HIC

Post by muse HIC »

Hi people,

I have the very same issue here.
Been an MM Gold user for decades and never got this bug before.
All files are accessible, and all files cannot be read only in MM but work in other players. All type of file are affected (flac, MP3, wav, ogg)