Last.FM scrobbling

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

norseman197

Post by norseman197 »

Hey fellow Monkeys,
I've been using MM3 with LastFM 1.3 client. Unfortunately I clicked on the update icon/button and things haven't been the same since. I tried uninstalling LastFM and reinstalling. Then using plugins described in Options 1, 2, and 3. I can get tracks to display as being currently play, but they get erased by the next track. So nothing gets saved permanently. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
billywizz

Re: Last.FM scrobbling

Post by billywizz »

I have tried all three of the options suggested and NONE of them will work for me. I just cannot get MM3.0.2 to configure the audioscobbler plugin from Options. It just hangs for a minute then nothing.

Anyone any other suggestions ? For me this is a big issue so its bye bye MM if I cant get this to work.
heartofhate

Post by heartofhate »

for me works the third option. i use mm 3.02.1134... i tried the other two options but they didn't work out...
i have one weird thing going on at lastfm. it scrobbles the songs but it says now that it will play the songs in like 40mins.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

billywizz wrote:I have tried all three of the options suggested and NONE of them will work for me. I just cannot get MM3.0.2 to configure the audioscobbler plugin from Options. It just hangs for a minute then nothing.

Anyone any other suggestions ? For me this is a big issue so its bye bye MM if I cant get this to work.
Those are the only options. Are you sure that you have tried them each individually and not had multiple plugins installed at the same time? Multiple plugins will surely not allow you to scrobble anything. I am using the old winamp option and it is working just fine, there's no reason that it shouldn't work for you. Make sure you follow the installation instructions clearly and that you are only using one plugin at a time.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
hipdoof

BEST SOLUTION!!

Post by hipdoof »

ZenDude wrote:Here is how I got the messages to stop:

1. Uninstall Last-fm

2. Download the Winamp plug-in following the instructions for option #1 above.

3. Re-install Last-fm and when the program installs, don't let it check for plugins. I only get updates when the Last-fm program is updated. I am never asked about plugin updates. I don't remember how I told the program what needs to get scrobbled but it has worked fine for months.

I still hope that the native plugin will work some day. I do use the Last-fm program to help check my tags.
This works perfectly for me. I downloaded this plugin

http://www.thorrune.net/filedump/gen_wa2_scrobbler.dll

found at a discussion of this topic in the Last.fm forums seen:

http://www.last.fm/group/Media+Monkey/f ... 3/_/178013

You need to download the .dll file into your MediaMonkey plugins folder (usually C:/Program Files/MediaMonkey/Plugins)

On the Last.fm forum they say that when you are installing the last.fm player thing, you need to select Winamp in the plugin item and then choose the Mediamonkey folder.
DO NOT DO THIS!!!
Instead, when you install the last.fm player thing, do not choose to install ANY winamp plugins at all. You may still install a plugin for Itunes WMP if you so choose, I think.

Even if it has not been officially installed by Last.fm, it will still recognize the working winamp plugin located above, without ever asking you to update it. I assume this is because MediaMonkey initializes this .dll and not last.fm, but I'm not sure. This works perfectly for me. This way I can still have last.fm player, use MediaMonkey, and not get annoying update windows. As has been said in this thread, make sure no other last.fm plugins are installed or this probably won't work, although I haven't tested that to be sure. I'm something of a n00b when it comes to this stuff, but this is a really easy solution and I have no reason to believe that it will ever quit working.

So in summary:
1) Download this plugin to Mediamonkey/Plugins: http://www.thorrune.net/filedump/gen_wa2_scrobbler.dll

2) Install Last.fm, but do not install winamp plugin or make last.fm think you have winamp at all. You can still have other plugins, I think.

3)Start MediaMonkey, and Last.fm should start automatically, PROBABLY WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHY!! (LOL)

4) Start scrobbling. could it be any easier?'

Do not have any other plugins installed!!!
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

Sounds like a great solution. I'll have to give it a try. I do miss using the client sometimes and the old Winamp plugin isn't UTF-ready so I have to do a dance to scrobble some of my Japanese and Hebrew artists. Thanks for the instructions!
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

It seems to be working thanks! We'll see how it does on non-latin character sets but so far, I'm happy! LOVE having the client back. :D
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
ToeAndno

Post by ToeAndno »

I've not really bothered with Last.fm in the past, created a profile ages ago but that was all.

I've just decided to get into scrobbling and so far it's working great (option 2).
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

spacefish wrote:It seems to be working thanks! We'll see how it does on non-latin character sets but so far, I'm happy! LOVE having the client back. :D
Aw, unfortunately this version of the plugin is not UTF-8 compatible. Had to change the ID3 tags on my Japanese artists to latin character sets. Oh, well! Someday, maybe the native MM plugin will actually be finished. :P
WebNodes
Benn

Post by Benn »

I've just stated using option 3, and was wondering whether I can scrobble my play history retrospectively? I do use Bex's Play History and Stats script if that helps.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Benn wrote:I've just stated using option 3, and was wondering whether I can scrobble my play history retrospectively? I do use Bex's Play History and Stats script if that helps.
Unfortunately its impossible, last.fm will always reject it as "spam".
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Benn

Post by Benn »

Can Winamp/other player import MM play data? That way last.fm would be able to then. Seems unlikely though. :(
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

Benn wrote:Can Winamp/other player import MM play data? That way last.fm would be able to then.
To my knowledge, there is no way to retroactively scrobble your music from Winamp or any other player. Last.fm has made it possible to scrobble directly from an iPod but that's it. You can't take your [insert music manager] library, run a script and tell last.fm to add all those tracks/plays as scrobbles.
WebNodes
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Well maybe there could be a possibility to do so with a fresh account. I noticed that the official client uploaded all plays from iTunes when a friend of mine registered and installed the last.fm-application.

But I don't know if this only is possible with iTunes...
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

I think it's only available for iTunes but you're right, it's only for new users:

http://www.last.fm/forum/34905/_/434996
WebNodes