BPM

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

a_cad_1

BPM

Post by a_cad_1 »

I can't seem to read the BPM in all the files.

I am using the standalone free mixmeister. After scanning and doing a reload it seems to read the info OK

MM does not display any BPM below 100. I don't think it is reading all the other tracks either, but have not checked that yet.

I tried loading other apps to see if this can be read by other programs to see if it is a MM issue, but only have Music Match, Winamp, Windows Media Player on my system. None of which seem to be able to see the BPM field.

So I am not sure if this is MM or MixMister problem.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well if non of the other apps you mentioned read the BPM well the problem most likely lies with MixMeister. It probably doesn't write the BPM information correctly to the files.

What filetypes are you using and which version of MM?
a_cad_1

Post by a_cad_1 »

I am trying to find an app to verify that it is not a MM problem. I can't find anything that reads the BPM field. So it may be written not sure.

I am using files created by MM 2.2.1.760 files are 128K MP3

letting Mixmeister do a standalone scan on all the files.

Rescanning into MM. MM sees most of the BPM settings. It sees None Below 100 (two digit fields) Not sure if it sees all the ones above 100 though.
jiri

Post by jiri »

You can check the mp3 files in hex-editor and find 'TBPM' frame. It should be followed by an integer represented as a string, so you should see e.g. '68' or '123'.

Jiri
a_cad_1

Post by a_cad_1 »

Found TBPM - No clean numbers after that can be read in Hex editor. Maybe offset or like other tags where the value is not next to the tag

Looked at 10 MP3 files
On five that displayed a BPM in MM
00 00 00 11 00 00 01 ff fe 31 00 followed by different stuff

On five that did not display a BPM in MM
00 00 00 0f 00 00 01 ff fe followed by different stuff

All seemed to display BPM in Mixmeister
jiri

Post by jiri »

Could you add some more numbers after 'followed by different stuff' - about 6 more should be fine.

Also you can e-mail me some shorter track and I'll check what's wrong with it.

Jiri
a_cad_1

Post by a_cad_1 »

In the meantime before I got back to you I installed Itunes just to see if the data is getting into the file, or if it is not being read. The other apps on my computer do not seem to have the capability to read that field.

Itunes seems to read all the BPM info. After checking about 300 files the files that are missing BPM are all under 100 BPM (two digit field)

Do you want a file still? I have files which are about 2MB. Bad File which does not display BPM? and/or Good file which displays BPM?

What email address should I send it to?
a_cad_1

Post by a_cad_1 »

I don't know if I was clear in my last note.

Itunes displayed all the BPM info even the ones under 100.

MM did not display any BPM that were under 100
jiri

Post by jiri »

You can e-mail me a file that isn't read correctly in MM, use the e-mail address from my profile (I don't write it here because of spam that would start comming).

My theory is that that mixmeister doesn't write BPT according to specs, e.g. that it writes it as a floating point number, not an integer.

Jiri
a_cad_1

Post by a_cad_1 »

Bad Reading file is on its way.

It would be odd if it is becouse of a FP number. only fails being read by MM on two digit numbers, where 3 digit numbers seem to work.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Ok, I checked the file and I was right - BPM is written as 85.54 instead of 85, ID3v2 specification doesn't allow anything else than integers there. Anyway, even though it isn't a bug in MM it will be modified so that these values will be allowed.

Jiri

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the prompt response, and changing your code so quickly to deal with floating point numbers. I have worked at companys where internal software is slower to get changed.

Anyways I don't use any of the advanced users yet, but just bought a lifetime license to support your great team.

Post by Guest »

so does MM recognize BPM yet? itunes does it perfectly.
jiri

Post by jiri »

MM reads BPM from ID3 tag fine for quite some time.

Jiri

Post by Guest »

jiri wrote:MM reads BPM from ID3 tag fine for quite some time.

Jiri
only 3 digit bpms show up on mine. :(