admin vs. regular user: "locked down environments"

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

philipp

admin vs. regular user: "locked down environments"

Post by philipp »

from what i've experienced last weekend mediamonkey 2.1 seems not to comply with "locked down windows environments":

for safe usage of your windows environment (say windows xp) it's recommended to do the following:

set up an administrative user (with unlimited priviledes).
set up regular users for your daily work (with limited privileges).

you should use the admin user for system maintenance, only - such as installing/uninstalling software.

you should use the regular user (with limited privileges) for your daily work - such as using the software installed on that machine.

MM 2.1 breaks this approach:
a) media library
b) MM *.ini file

this is true for (at least) windows xp home edition:
regular users are granted access to the following locations, only:
1) My Documents
2) Shared Documents

in conclusion, you can't use MM as long as you don't have admin rights on your machine. (the installation should be done by the admin user, anyway)

best, philipp
Last edited by philipp on Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
jiri

Post by jiri »

The latest beta fixes this, it installs Library and ini file to user's My Music folder.

Jiri
legume

mm 2.2.2: non-admin user can't access CD

Post by legume »

hi. i'm using mediamonkey 2.2.2 (official release) and noticed the following behaviour:

in a "locked-down" system environement i'm using a non-admin user to play an audio-CD via mediamonkey:
i get the error "Device XY not found" (where XY is the CD-ROM drive).

when using an admin user everthing works fine.

environment details:
OS: win XP pro SP1a ("use simple file sharing": checked)
MM: 2.2.2

thx, leg
philipp

confirm bug

Post by philipp »

i reproduced this behaviour on my machine:
error message "Device E not found" when accessing the CD-ROM drive.

seems to be a bug.

mediamonkey team: can you confirm?

cheers, philipp
jiri

Post by jiri »

Such problem could possibly happen because of missing ASPI drivers (that are needed either for Win9x systems or for WinNT, 2k, XP where user isn't logged as Administrator). Please check readme file, section 5.a)iii) and let us know if it helps. If it doesn't help, please send us all details about your machine, mainly OS, all devices (CD-ROMs, USB devices, etc.).

Jiri
philipp

problem fixed!

Post by philipp »

my apologies. i didn't know this "readme" file exists.

installing the ASPI-drivers (adaptec) fixed the problem!

unfortunately i installed the nero "burn rights" tool together with the aspi drivers. so i can't tell/confirm whether installing only the aspi drivers would suffice, as well?

cheers, philipp
jiri

Post by jiri »

Yes, ASPI drivers itself should be enough.

Jiri
mpipolo

Still not working after installing Adaptec ASPI drivers

Post by mpipolo »

I am having the exact same problem as Philipp, but had no such luck with fixing it. I downloaded the latest version of the Adaptec ASPI drivers (Dec. 28, 2004), and installed them as per the instructions provided. I rebooted, and I still can't play or, more importantly, rip my CDs. I am logged in as administrator. I also added the UsePluginForCDA=1 line to the system section of MediaMonkey.ini.

I am running Windows XP as administrator. I have an external Sony CD-RW/DVD-+RW drive, and an internal drive, and neither will work with MediaMonkey. They work everywhere else. Could you help me?
jiri

Post by jiri »

If you are logged as an administrator it should work even without ASPI. In case it still doesn't work, you can generate a debug log as described in this forum and e-mail it to me.

Jiri
mpipolo

CD Drive E: Not Found

Post by mpipolo »

I am definitely logged in as administrator... I have no account other than admininstrator. As for the installation of the ASPI drivers, though, I found it a bit hard to believe that all I do after running the ASPI DOS install program is restart my computer. Is there something else I should have done?

As for a debug log, how do I create one of these?
Michael Pipolo
rusty

How to create a debug log

Post by rusty »

Instructions to create a debug log are at: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69

-Rusty