playlist: need absolute paths!

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

graham

playlist: need absolute paths!

Post by graham »

Using MM to synch to a storage card in a WM2003SE Smartphone (with Windows Media Player 10); everything synchs correctly, but the playlist entries look like this:

Code: Select all

<entry><ref href="Music\Barenaked Ladies\Maroon\Pinch Me.MP3"/></entry>
They need to look like this:

<entry><ref href="\Storage Card\Music\Barenaked Ladies\Maroon\Pinch Me.MP3"/></entry>
...or they don't work! If I manually edit the .ASX files to the latter, the playlists work fine.

Any help?

Thanks,

g.
jiri

Post by jiri »

MM doesn't itself create the playlist files, they are created over Microsoft's WMDM interface and so how paths are written should be only matter of WMDM or device driver.

Jiri
graham

what?

Post by graham »

Um, are you sure? The playlists are stored within MM's Access database, right? How else could it work but that MM creates the ASX files from that?

Oddly, they have a .pla.ASX extension...

If they're using the same interface as Windows Media Player uses, how come WMP synchs correctly?

Does no one else have this problem?

g.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Yes, I'm absolutely sure MM doesn't create ASX files on the device, specifically the files appear after synchronization using MM, but they are created by WMDM layer.

Could you send debug logs as described in the beginning of this forum so that I see more about your problem?

Jiri
graham

OK, I've sent it

Post by graham »

OK, I sent you a debug log as requested. I'm still a little confused about how you can blame Windows... presumably, the MM pseudocode runs something like..

tell WMDM to create playlist
tell WMDM the first song on the playlist
tell WMDM the last song on the playlist
tell WMDM we're done with the playlist

That would imply that MM passes a path in its calls to WMDM, right? It seems that on some devices, at least, using a relative path ("music/artist/song") isn't working; an absolute path ("/storage card/music/artist/song") is required.

Just thinking out loud... hope you're able to fix this bug.

Thanks,

g.

Oh, P.S.: Audiovox SMT 5600 with a 1GB storage card; Music and Playlists are on the card.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Thanks for the log, but I also need the log described in c) of the topic - best of all generated after a playlist is synchronized using MM and using WMP - so that I could compare it.

Your reasoning is generally speaking correct, however MM doesn't tell WMDM to add file 'music/artist/song', files are referenced by pointers to them (something like: add file #12345 to playlist #123) and so we can't decide whether to use absolute or relative paths.

Jiri

Re: playlist: need absolute paths!

Post by Guest »

graham wrote:Using MM to synch to a storage card in a WM2003SE Smartphone (with Windows Media Player 10); everything synchs correctly, but the playlist entries look like this:

<entry><ref href="Music\Barenaked Ladies\Maroon\Pinch Me.MP3"/></entry>
They need to look like this:

<entry><ref href="\Storage Card\Music\Barenaked Ladies\Maroon\Pinch Me.MP3"/></entry>
...or they don't work! If I manually edit the .ASX files to the latter, the playlists work fine.

Any help?

Thanks,

g.