Restore Database

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

bensonspooky

Re: Restore Database

Post by bensonspooky »

I have disabled it and now it's MANUAL. So do I need to click SCAN to proceed?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, unless you fixed the (OS) drive.
bensonspooky

Post by bensonspooky »

Well, how do I fix it? I added the Media file but it still didn't show in the LOCATION.
bensonspooky

Post by bensonspooky »

By the way, I went ahead and started the scanning. Now many of the songs that couldn't play before and now they are playing. A few of them (don't know how many yet) still failed but many did play now.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

The rescan should find all the files that actually exist in your new PC in any of the paths that are shown. Does the number of tracks in the database match the number of music files you have??

Do you have duplicate files, ie more files in the database that on the PC? If so you can check if it is any particular path that always fails, and then simply delete from database all the files with that path.

So, the big question now is, do your playlists work?? If so you are one of the more persistent or more lucky ones!!! If not, can you live with re-creating them?? The difficulty with playlists is that they by definition refer to a particular database entry, and if the location of that database entry changes, the playlist will no longer work.

It seems this issue of transferring database from one computer to the next is one of the most troublesome areas of Mediamonkey, and I know they are beginning to acknowledge that.

In theory if you follow the steps exactly, and use the exact same path for ALL tracks on the new PC, it can work and you can get your playlists back.

However, if you search this forum for "Reassign drive" you will see how often this has been a problem for users with unfortunately very many different circumstances being the cause, thus making it hard to fix.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
bensonspooky

Post by bensonspooky »

Yes, all of my playlists are back and in order. This is the 3rd time I have to reinstall MM5 and I always have problems. Eventually I was able to solve most of them since I won't give up!

I haven't looked at the total number of tracks yet, where can I find that in MM5? So far, I haven't seen any duplicates.

"It seems this issue of transferring database from one computer to the next is one of the most troublesome areas of Mediamonkey, and I know they are beginning to acknowledge that."

You are absolutely right, I just don't know why can't they make the transaction much easier and simpler. It was a pain and also took so much time.

Thank you.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Select music node, and "All Tracks" subnode on the left.

Look underneath the main window in the bottom left side, just below the scroll bar if you have one.

In small print it should say total number of files (tracks), number of gigabytes, and total play hours.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
bensonspooky

Post by bensonspooky »

Thank you. I think I'm OK now, sure don't want to go through another reinstall again, lol.

Thank you to everyone who have helped, especially Lowlander.

PS: It's really annoying that Spamhaus kept blacklisting my IP which is a T-Mobile data connection for my phone. I have sent them 7 requests to delist it. I would have sent this reply earlier but was waiting for Spamhaus to delist my IP!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
bensonspooky wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm PS: It's really annoying that Spamhaus kept blacklisting my IP which is a T-Mobile data connection for my phone. I have sent them 7 requests to delist it. I would have sent this reply earlier but was waiting for Spamhaus to delist my IP!
We are sorry for that, but there was number of DDoS attacks on our sites/services over past few week, so our protection is on edge and in strict learning mode so some rare users experience issues. Thank you for patience and understanding.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bensonspooky

Post by bensonspooky »

Thank you for the clarification.

It took a while for me to reply because my IP was blocked again.