metadata lookup database

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey Server and learn about the newest builds.

Moderators: drakinite, Gurus

alanmalm

metadata lookup database

Post by alanmalm »

Any thoughts on changing the database used for metadata lookup? I am finding more and more that Mediabrainz does not have information on all of the disks that I am trying to rip to FLAC and MP3 files. The only other option available is FreeDB which unfortunately now seems to be either non existent or completely worthless!

Here is an example that I tried today - Johann Sebastian Bach by Lang Lang Goldberg Variations from 2020
It cannot find it in the latest 5.05 version of Mediamonkey
Timo_Beil

Re: metadata lookup database

Post by Timo_Beil »

Are you looking for the successor to freeDB?
I'm using GnuDB as a well-functioning alternative in MM.
Simply select the FreeDB http option and "gnudb.gnudb.org" as server address.

(Tip for developers/transators: This is part of the language package. Already changed for Germany.)
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Techcum

Post by Techcum »

Considering the limitations of MediaBrainz and FreeDB, exploring alternative databases for metadata lookup could be beneficial. For instance, integrating with databases like Discogs or AllMusic might offer more comprehensive coverage. This could improve the accuracy and completeness of metadata retrieval, enhancing the user experience for ripping FLAC and MP3 files. For example, in the latest version 5.05 of MediaMonkey, attempts to locate specific albums like "Johann Sebastian Bach by Lang Lang Goldberg Variations from 2020" may be unsuccessful due to database constraints.
Last edited by Techcum on Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Techcum wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:45 am integrating with databases like Discogs or AllMusic might offer more comprehensive coverage
Without too much looking into their legal documents We considered this in the past and if I recall they needed to be paid services due the limited number of free queries or no free option for direct connect to their services databases.

Classical Music metadata is more complicated than regular music, due the number of additional values.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts