[REQ] Associating a single copy of a single track with multiple albums.

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Totsuzenheni Yukimi

[REQ] Associating a single copy of a single track with multiple albums.

Post by Totsuzenheni Yukimi »

Would it be possible to add a means by which a single copy of a single track can be associated with multiple albums? Perhaps this could be done by having the option to add additional Album fields? (I realise that there'd be more to creating this kind of functionality than that but i don't have much know how about programming.) The same option for some of the other fields could be good too, and ideally i'd like to be able to have a number of 'instances' (if that's the correct term) of a single copy of a single track, each with different album/artist/date/[etc.] combinations, along with the ability to switch each of them on/off in track listings.
Timo_Beil

Re: [REQ] Associating a single copy of a single track with multiple albums.

Post by Timo_Beil »

MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

I take it then that there isn't much chance of such a feature being added. Is it not something that's possible within MediaMonkey?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As mentioned before, the problem is that Album is not a multi-value tag. Besides Album, you'd have potential differing values for Track#, Disc#, Date, Artwork and Album Artist for the same track on different Albums (with the first 3 also being single value tags).
However nothing stands in the way for an Addon developer to create a solution. There is such a solution for MediaMonkey 4: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39312
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Lowlander wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:58 pm As mentioned before, the problem is that Album is not a multi-value tag. Besides Album, you'd have potential differing values for Track#, Disc#, Date, Artwork and Album Artist for the same track on different Albums (with the first 3 also being single value tags).
I assumed as much, and this is partly why multiple 'instances' came to mind. By 'instances' i'm imagining a reworking of the contents of the Properties Basic tab, separating out the 'Location', 'Filename', 'Rating', and 'Comment' fields into somewhere else, and making the Basic tab an 'Album' tab that contains 'Title', 'Album', 'Album Artist(s)', 'Disc#', 'Track#', and 'Date' fields, with the option to add more Album tabs. Quite where the 'Artist(s)', 'Composer(s)', 'Conductor(s)', 'Orignal Date', and 'Lyricist(s)' fields would go and whether or not it would serve any function (with regards to this) to have multiples of those i'm not sure at the moment.
Lowlander wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:58 pm However nothing stands in the way for an Addon developer to create a solution. There is such a solution for MediaMonkey 4: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39312
This does look like the sort of thing i'm after, albeit perhaps slightly less integrated into the current user interface. If anyone wants to do something like this for MM5 then i'd be interested.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The problem is still the file tags, the different tagging standards don't support this.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Totsuzenheni Yukimi wrote: ↑Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:39 pm Would it be possible to add a means by which a single copy of a single track can be associated with multiple albums? Perhaps this could be done by having the option to add additional Album fields? (I realise that there'd be more to creating this kind of functionality than that but i don't have much know how about programming.) The same option for some of the other fields could be good too, and ideally i'd like to be able to have a number of 'instances' (if that's the correct term) of a single copy of a single track, each with different album/artist/date/[etc.] combinations, along with the ability to switch each of them on/off in track listings.
MediaMonkey does not have support for this at all. Version five has no changes in this regard. Their documentation even went as far as to tell you to delete the duplicates to only have one song you want to play :roll:

I solve this issue with m3u8 playlist that select the single version of the song I want played across many genres. The good thing about this tactic is that it is compatible with all media players and makes switching to another very easy.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Dryst wrote: ↑Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 am I solve this issue with m3u8 playlist that select the single version of the song I want played across many genres. The good thing about this tactic is that it is compatible with all media players and makes switching to another very easy.
Alas, this wouldn't be a solution for my .WAV files. One of the reasons i chose MediaMonkey was because i could organise my .WAV files.