Unable to remove '#' column from playlist browser view [#20573]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Milky

Unable to remove '#' column from playlist browser view [#20573]

Post by Milky »

Hello. So, you're able to customise the columns in your browser right? Things like album artist, album, custom fields, all that stuff. Well, for some reason (I'm not sure what caused it), the column for the '#' field appeared on all my playlist browsers and is unremovable. It's the field that counts the track's position number on the playlist (different to 'Track #').

Unlike other field columns, there is no Hide column "#" option that appears when I right click the header of the column. When I click Choose columns / Sort, the # appears but the option to remove it is greyed out. Interestingly, if I click Reset to default, another # appears on the Selected columns section, but if I hit OK, the extra # columns disappears, leaving just one.

This unremovable columns only appears on the Playlist. It is absent on the Playing, Home and Music tabs and I couldn't add it even if I wanted to (it's not an option on Choose columns / Sort).

I'm running Windows 10 and I was running MediaMonkey 5.10.2828, then I updated to MediaMonkey 5.10.2830 in an attempt to fix it but it didn't work.
Lowlander

Re: Unable to remove '#' column from playlist browser view

Post by Lowlander »

This is by design so that when the Playlist is sorted it remains clear what the order of files on the Playlist is.
Milky

Post by Milky »

I'm a little confused, is this a new feature? It was never like this before. It's quite annoying to be unable to choose what columns I want. Surely this doesn't have to be displayed right? How can I make it like it was the way before?

This is what it looks like by the way (on the far left).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, as mentioned it's by design, too many users got confused about the order of files on the Playlist. This is new to 5.1.
Milky

Post by Milky »

But that doesn't make sense—playlist order is not always important, especially for things like autoplaylists where playlist number is incredibly irrelevant. I understand putting it in the default column list, sure. Removing confusion for new users is a must. But for people who really aren't getting confused, why not add an option to remove the column? It's incredibly distracting. I use a lot of autoplaylists and I usually like to fit as much relevant info into my browser as I can and this is getting in the way. Not only this, you can't even move the # column to the side. I really don't want to downgrade to 5.0 just for this, especially after buying Gold. Can't there be some kind of compromise?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Milky wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:14 pm playlist order is not always important
Playlist order is important as for static playlists # can be updated according to Sort and many users complained that they do not know what was original order and be able to restore it easily.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

This still does not explain why the column should be forced visible.

I'm ok with adding it to the default display, so users will be aware of it, but please do not force it to remain visible for those who don't want to see it.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Rob_S wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:53 pm This still does not explain why the column should be forced visible.

I'm ok with adding it to the default display, so users will be aware of it, but please do not force it to remain visible for those who don't want to see it.
Due the number of complains we received from users where they requested that # is always visible as Essential to the playlist views, same as you can't hide ROW numbers in spreadsheet apps.
Best regards,
Peke
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, so I still don't see the logic

In a spreadsheet the row and column numbers are required for pretty much every formula and calculation you might perform, thus essential to the user at all times, not so at all for MM playlists. AFIK, no track is ever referenced by its "Number"

If, as you say the number itself can be affected by a sort and re-save, then how would it help to re-establish the "original" order?? In fact when I move tracks up and down the list, the number sequence changes immediately, so it does not retain any "original order"

Further, I have yet to read any of these many "complains we received from users where they requested that # is always visible as Essential to the playlist views" on the forum here. For me to better understand what they might be talking about, can you provide some quotes??
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Milky

Post by Milky »

Peke wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:33 pm Hi,
Milky wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:14 pm playlist order is not always important
Playlist order is important as for static playlists # can be updated according to Sort and many users complained that they do not know what was original order and be able to restore it easily.
Okay, but what about for the users that don't care about the original order of a playlist? You could argue many things are important in MediaMonkey, but the great part of MediaMonkey is that you get to decide what's important for you as an individual user. I would argue that the Title, Album and Artist fields are even more important but you can still remove them if you really wanted to. It should be up to the user to decide these things.
Peke wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:02 am Due the number of complains we received from users where they requested that # is always visible as Essential to the playlist views, same as you can't hide ROW numbers in spreadsheet apps.
Where are these complaints? The only other post I can see from other users about this issue is 1 post that is saying the exact same thing we are. A bug report was added here, where for some reason the bug was doubled down on denied despite even Lowlander mentioning that the forum complaint was about how the forum users want the option to make it removable.

At the very least, could we not get an official addon that removes the column? This whole decision feels quite irrational and I can't help but feel like we're not being heard.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
We had hundreds of bug reports reported here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 12#p514012

so in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20309 we made it non removable as it is essential for MM UI.

You are heard, so I added https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20573 in order to address this because if you move it to the end of Column list the you should not even see it.
Best regards,
Peke
Rob_S

Re: Unable to remove '#' column from playlist browser view [#20573]

Post by Rob_S »

As I read the posted BUG was complaining that the column is NOT removable. I did not find any of the complaints otherwise.

Not sure who deems it to be essential, but even if it is, there is no reason to force it to be visible

Moving it to the back seems almost as irritating in case you use fit columns to window.

Could you please explain what possible useful purpose it serves?

You do realize that sliding (drag and drop) a track up or down the screen changes the track numbers for that track and the tracks between the start and end position??? So it cannot be reliably used to revert to any original order.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Rob_S wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:21 pm Could you please explain what possible useful purpose it serves?
Allowing MM to show and manage Playlist view stable.

I edited https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20573 to see if we can make it hidden.
Rob_S wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:21 pm You do realize that sliding (drag and drop) a track up or down the screen changes the track numbers for that track and the tracks between the start and end position??? So it cannot be reliably used to revert to any original order.
D&D in static playlists are permanent action there is no revert option.
Best regards,
Peke
Milky

Post by Milky »

Peke wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:58 am I edited https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20573 to see if we can make it hidden.
Thank you. This would be wonderful.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Milky wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:55 am
Peke wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:58 am I edited https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20573 to see if we can make it hidden.
Thank you. This would be wonderful.
And a big Thanks from me as well!!