Requests to help a long time user/purchaser to us MM5

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Artemis5

Requests to help a long time user/purchaser to us MM5

Post by Artemis5 »

MM5 is head and shoulders above MM4 in terms of functionality and cool features. Here are my 4 critical show stoppers keeping me on MM4. Please help me transition to a significantly better product.
1. When type in a list, search the list vice assuming user wants to do a search. Two separate use cases here: (1) jump to position in list; (2) search library. How about a global behavior setting? This missing functionality is very impactful for large libraries; we have to scroll, scroll, scroll to find the list item we want to click on. HUGE waste of time.
2. Cannot convert Track # "01" to "1". How about a global behavior setting (auto apply on add/re-scan and list displays) or give us the MM4 script equivalent? Auto increment per Album is a HUGE waste of time.
3. Column layout applied recursively to all sub-nodes rather than having to redo each time we click on a sub node. HUGE waste of time.
4. Location node limited to list of folders (Windows Explorer emulator). Because of this limitation, we have to create a collection using a hard-coded path value to get a list of tracks in a location. How about a global behavior setting (operating system file system emulator seamless with every other node in the product)? We have a workaround but it is clumsy to say the least.
MattTown

Re: Requests to help a long time user/purchaser to us MM5

Post by MattTown »

I don't entirely understand your problems, but its possible that part of your problem 1 with the list updates being interpreted as search requests (a problem that I used to have too) is the new setting at Menu > Tools > Options > Library > Search > Show results only after pressing ENTER, which causes the list relocation to be deferred until the you do actually hit an enter key. I keep this setting on and it has saved my list from relocating countless times.
Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Riegelstriegel

Re: Requests to help a long time user/purchaser to us MM5

Post by Riegelstriegel »

As far as for problem 4, there is a button at the top, where you can switch between "Display only selected folders content" and "Display folder's content recursively".
The latter will list all files in that folder including all files in any sub folders.

Problem 2, this may be a bit of a dumb workaround I suggest here and only works when you have your files named like "01 Track Title.flac" but if you use Tag from filename on tracks 1to 9 with this filter:

Code: Select all

<skip:1><track#:1><skip>
you will get single digit track numbers in the tags. It might be slightly faster than Auto-increment when you use shortcuts. Dunno, maybe it is dumb after all. :-)

Problem 3, I kind of agree! I would love to have the possibility to set a global column layout that will be used for all views per default. While I don't use the same view in every node and I still would alter some specific views after setting a global default, for me it also would be a great time safer if I could start with a layout that is more matching to my preferences.