M4A files no longer play, MP3 and FLAC play fine [#20542]

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

frsr

M4A files no longer play, MP3 and FLAC play fine [#20542]

Post by frsr »

My M4A (ALAC) files have stopped playing on MediaMonkey Pro on Android 12. When I try to play an M4A album, it skips past all the files. MP3's and FLAC files still play fine. I tried a phone reboot and rescanning files into library, no good. These files used to play fine. Can anyone think of something I should try before reinstalling MediaMonkey Pro and rescanning the library again?
Lowlander

Re: M4A files no longer play, MP3 and FLAC play fine

Post by Lowlander »

MMA relies on Android itself for playback. Could there have been an update to Android (that then removed M4A playback capability)?
frsr

Post by frsr »

I don't think it's an android update. I can play the M4A files using a different media player (Foobar) so I think Android is still happy.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please supply us DL links to few M4A files (save them from phone), UL to file sharing host (Google drive/DropBox/One Drive, .... or similar ones) so that we can test and analyze them. Also what phone is in Question?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
frsr

Post by frsr »

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S10e. Here's a link to a couple files copied from my phone to Google Drive.

These play on my computer fine, sync to the SD card on my phone fine and if I point a few different music apps on my phone to these files stored on my phone, they play fine. I'm starting to suspect that ALAC m4A files haven't played at all in mediamonkey pro on android and I am mis-remembering testing this.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I can confirm with your sample files Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20542
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rusty

Re: M4A files no longer play, MP3 and FLAC play fine [#20542]

Post by rusty »

Note that this issue is specific to certain file formats on certain devices due to changes in audio format support on those devices.

The short term fix is to configure auto-conversion for M4A files on such devices. Over the longer term, mma will add its own codecs to eliminate the dependency on system codecs.

-Rusty