[REQ] Enhanced Help for User Interface Nomenclature [#20361, 20362]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

[REQ] Enhanced Help for User Interface Nomenclature [#20361, 20362]

Post by MattTown »

Here is a request to the mutual benefit of users and support staff - improve the help texts which describe the names for parts of the MM5 user interface.

One recurring problem that I see in the help and bug forums is that people who are new to MM (and some of us who have been at it for a while) are not certain of what to call the different parts of the screen, so that a support dialog frequently has to go back and forth to get agreement/understanding on what elements are under discussion. Personally, it has taken me a looong time to figure out your preferred terms for the parts of the screen.

There is a basic description of the screen elements in the help files, but it is abstract, diffuse and inconsistent. The term "User Interface" doesn't appear at all in the help files, and the only definitive lists of what you call the parts of the screen are in text under the heading "Basic Concepts". There is a description of panels at the wiki webhelp page at https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Tracks/5.0, but that uses two pages of text requiring close scruitiny and an agile sense of direction. Some further guidance can be obtained from https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... the_Layout, but it isn't structured the same way. I suggest that an annotated series of interface images would do much better. Here's an example of my understanding of the MM5 UI screen elements - you can see that I'm still uncertain about some parts and I'm happy to be corrected :)

And, it's not just making the naming explicit - the same parts of the screen are referred to by different names in different parts of the help and UI. For instance, a recent thread discussed the activity of the playing list at top right, referred to via four different terms:
  • in Options>Layout as "Right Panel">"Playing",
  • again in Options>Layout as "Playing List",
  • in the help text as "Playing", and
  • in the support thread as "Now Playing".
This might be the worst case, but it indicates that a root and branch review of terminology is warranted, because *any* inconsistency is going to annoy your established users and deter new ones.

Of course, the extreme flexibility that you've engineered into the user interface via the Configure Layout controls - letting a user put almost anything almost anywhere (as far as I can tell) - does you no favours when it comes to explaining it. Yes it is complex and yes it may be a bit abstract, but I think you should try to embrace the main modes that people use it in and illustrate those visually in the help files.

So I suggest that you overhaul the referenced help page with annotated UI images and then refer people to that link when it is apparent that they need help telling you what they're looking at.

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
sonos

Re: [REQ] Enhanced Help for User Interface Nomenclature

Post by sonos »

I support this suggestion. An alternative for the name File could be Song or even better Track.

Carsten
oldugly

Post by oldugly »

MattTown wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:48 pm Here is a request to the mutual benefit of users and support staff - improve the help texts which describe the names for parts of the MM5 user interface.
I totally agree. Many times I've had a hard time following discussions on this forum, trying to figure out which section is which. Suggest using default view to show the sections and their names, and describe their content, so even if people move them around, they should still be able to figure out which is which.
MediaMonkey Gold user for 10+ years.
MM5 Gold (Lifetime) 5.0.4.2693; Windows 11; MMA 2.0.0.1152
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer the specific issues raised:
-The list of tracks currently playing used to be called 'Now Playing' in MM4, but is referred to as the 'Playing' list in MM5. The inconsistent terminology within MM5 arises from the fact that the panel only displays 'Playing' at the top due to space considerations, but I agree that within Options we should probably use 'Playing list' consistently.
-MM4 used track/file, and MM5 has moved towards referring to most items as File, since it's often inaccurate to refer to some items (e.g. Podcast episodes, Movies) as Tracks.

As to the online help, I agree with your points:
- We'll review and correct the help/KB to ensure that the terminology is consistent with the UI, and provide some sort of graphic along the lines that you shared to make this clear (https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20361).
- We'll review the UI again to try to eliminate any inconsistencies (https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20362)

Thanks!

-Rusty
MattTown

Re: [REQ] Enhanced Help for User Interface Nomenclature [#20361, 20362]

Post by MattTown »

Thanks!
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.