Lost half my play lists when upgrading.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

GiantRay

Lost half my play lists when upgrading.

Post by GiantRay »

I have been a Lifetime member with MM for years, maybe decades. I was using MM 4.1.31.1919. I noticed there was a new MM5 so downloaded and upgraded to MM 5.0.4.2692. My Gold Lifetime license ported over okay. What hasn't carried over between MM versions are all my Playlists. Over 50% are missing, and two playlists are empty. My entire library is there on both versions, except the newer version has got 14 more tracks from somewhere. I have a separate 1TB internal SSD which only contains all my music. I have used this method of using a separate internal drive for my MM music files for as long as I can remember.

For now I have gone back to MM4 because I haven't the time to spend hours replacing the missing play lists.

What can I do to restore my missing playlists on MM5?
Lowlander

Re: Lost half my play lists when upgrading.

Post by Lowlander »

Did MediaMonkey 5 offer to bring in the MediaMonkey 4 database? It's where the Playlists are stored.

Related: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... r-windows/
GiantRay

Post by GiantRay »

No, MM5 on installation did not offer to bring in MM4 database. I have tried an uninstall/reinstall, no change.

I looked at the link provided. Whilst there is a Portable Folder in MM5, In my "MM" folder (note no "4") there is no Portable Folder.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can copy the MMW4 database to the MMW5 database location (and remove mm5.db) and MMW5 will upgrade and use it on start: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... r-windows/
GiantRay

Post by GiantRay »

Yes I already looked at this route from your previous response.

I know this will sound weird, but there is no MM4.db or MM.db in my MM folder to copy and put into MM5. I have searched my whole computer for *.db and no MM4.bd or MM.bd exist. Which doesn't make logical sense when MM4 works perfectly well.

I am at a loss as to where MM has put the .db file that is being used by MM4.
kncuk1969

Post by kncuk1969 »

If you installed MM4 as a standard installation then it will be in the \users\<computername>\appdata\roaming\mediamonkey section of your directory structure, but to see it you will have to enable show hidden files in windows.

I hope this helps you find it.
GiantRay

Post by GiantRay »

kncuk69 YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!! Found the .db where you said it was. Transferred it over, renamed and bingo! Everything is back to normal. Just got to sort out the skin on MM5, do not like those installed.

Thank you very much for your help.