Duplicated Song Files MMW to MMA Sync, Underscore One (_1)

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Chep

Duplicated Song Files MMW to MMA Sync, Underscore One (_1)

Post by Chep »

Syncing between MMW and MMA copies over duplicate song files to MMA, adding _1 to the end of the copied files because the files already exist.

I then end up with Song A on MMW, with Song A and Song A_1 on MMA. Note the song on MMW does not have _1.

Being obsessive and not wanting to leave the _1 file, I thought that perhaps I'd remove the MMA Song A file, and remove the _1 from Song A_1's filename thinking that something in the tag of the _1 file mirrored the Song A file on MMW and that all would now be fine with the world. A new sync says otherwise, though - a new Song A_1 file is copied to MMA.

The only thing I have checked in the Sync wizard is Playlists - I unchecked song files thinking I'd stick with manual copies but the file sync from W to A still occurs.

I feel like I'm going in circles doing the same thing trying to stop the _1 files from being created.

Any suggestions as to what might be the issue?

Marc
MMW 5.0.4.2690
MMA 2.0.0.1086
Lowlander

Re: Duplicated Song Files MMW to MMA Sync, Underscore One (_1)

Post by Lowlander »

How exactly are you performing the Sync itself?
Chep

Post by Chep »

First I open MMW, then MMA. Next, I'll click the hamburger icon and choose "Sync" in MMA. There is 1 storage location set, on my SD card. I tap Switch to Wizard. Under Choose I confirm I have only Playlists checked. File Metadata is checked. Device Content is not checked. Delete from Device is set to None. I then tap Next, then Sync Now. Once complete I tap Close, returning to Home.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd suggest trying the latest beta of MMA and MMW, remove the files from the phone and Sync again. This may have been fixed already.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Chep wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:38 am First I open MMW, then MMA. Next, I'll click the hamburger icon and choose "Sync" in MMA. There is 1 storage location set, on my SD card. I tap Switch to Wizard. Under Choose I confirm I have only Playlists checked. File Metadata is checked. Device Content is not checked. Delete from Device is set to None. I then tap Next, then Sync Now. Once complete I tap Close, returning to Home.
When you press sync now it should start syncing immediately, should not give you choice, what you describe sounds like MM settings are cleaned and you need to go thru wizard again.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Chep

Post by Chep »

Peke wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:04 pm When you press sync now it should start syncing immediately, should not give you choice...
FYI, when I press Sync Now MMA does sync immediately - I am not presented with a choice(s). Sync runs and then it returns the results. I then tape Close.

That said, I finally got around to updating MMW and MMA (beta) ....... I deleted the _1 files on my phone, re-sync'd, and the _1 files were NOT copied back from MMW to MMA .... so all seems to be right for now.

Thank you for everyone's help and ideas,

Marc
Chep

Post by Chep »

Wrote too soon - it’s happening again.

MMW
Song A.aac
Song B.aac

MMA
Song A.aac
Song A_1.aac

Song B.aac
Song B_1.aac
FatMonk

Post by FatMonk »

I'm seeing exactly the same thing.

MMW and MMA are fully up to date.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can MMA play both files and can you delete "Song A.aac" and resync to see if file is created again?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
FatMonk

Post by FatMonk »

Yes, both copies play in MMA - that's actually how I found the problem, songs were playing twice when I played some albums.

If I delete either song.mp3 or song_1.mp3 and resync it looks like the deleted file is recreated.

It's difficult to be sure if all deleted _1.mp3 files are recreated or not, though, as I seem to have a lot of them. I also have a number of _2.mp3 files.

Oddly for some of these song_x.mo3 files the correct song.mp3 doesn't actually appear on the Android device but the _x.mp3 does. For others they are duplicates.

My library is around 15000 tracks and when I deleted all _1.mp3 files from my device and resync'd, 54 files were synced.. but I haven't been able to confirm if they are the same _1.mp3 as before. I suspect they are,though, as if I sync without deleting any files I get no files syncing over as you would expect (unless I have added to my library on MMW, obviously)

-FM