Windows 11 Compatibility

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Clevelandkid

Windows 11 Compatibility

Post by Clevelandkid »

Greetings,

I am getting ready to update the computer that is running Media Monkey on from Windows 7 to Windows 11 and wondering if there are any compatibility issues before installing the Window 11 OS.
I saw in the past where some MM users have reported issues with the program when using 11.
Please advise.

Thanks, and best regards,
CK
Lowlander

Re: Windows 11 Compatibility

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 is tested with Windows 10, MediaMonkey 5 is tested with both Windows 10 & 11: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ible-with/
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi,
My project has changed somewhat, where I have purchased a new Desktop Computer with Windows 11 Pro, and I would like to move all of my Music files (Mp3's) from my old Windows 7 Pro desktop computer (which has MMW 4 and 5 on it) to the new one. (Kind of a song transplant if you will.)

My questions are: First, by installing a new Media Monkey for Windows program onto the new computer, can I just move all those music Mp3 files over from the old Windows 7 computer to the new computer using a flash (thumb) drive? That way, my music library will be on the new computer, and my Wife can use the Windows 7 computer for her own music library.

Secondly, will the flash drive actually remove the files from the Window 7 computer, in order that I can install them on the windows 11 computer, or just copy them, so when I install them into the new computer, the same songs files will then be on both computers?

Kind regards,
CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use any method to copy files to a new PC. A USB thumbdrive will do the trick (best if it has a higher capacity than the size of your files). You can also copy via network.

It depends on how you copy the files. If you Copy to the thumbdrive the original files will remain in place.

Also see: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Thanks for your response.

So, if I understand you correctly, if using the Thumbdrive, the music files will be copied to it, and I would be able to install them into the new Windows 11 PC and they would be formatted into the newly purchased MMW, and the original files will remain in the Windows 7 computer's MMW? (Both computers would then have the same MM Libraries?) If so, that would be great!

Would it matter what versions of MMW are in each of the computers? When looking at the WIndows 7 computer, I can see my library on both MMW 4 and click to MMW 5 .
Not sure which version I should purchase for the new Windows 11 computer.
Guess it would come to the Pros and Cons of each version.

In case it comes down to how I use MM, basically I use it as a Jukebox where I add Indvidual song files either ripped from CD or by Mp3 downloads and then set to "Shuffle." and to segue the songs with no gap in between.
I would like, on occasion, to be able to also have the option to categorize the songs for a playlist by either the same Artist, year or a theme, such as all songs to do with the word "rain" or "sunshine" or whatever.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you'd just use the Thumbdrive to Copy files between the 2 PC's.

A MediaMonkey 5 License will work on both MediaMonkey 4 & 5.
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Thanks again Lowlander,
I think my route would then be through the Thumb Drive method and I will be ordering MediaMonkey 5 Gold to opt for accessibility to both MMW 4 and 5 on the new computer per your suggestions.

Best Regards,
CK
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
For speed you should check USB 3.1(2) m.2 SSD enclosures. Bit more expensive, but I find them much faster and you can easily choose both size and speed of drives.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi,

Just a quick question, .....well actually two,
since I am purchasing a new MMW gold license for the new Windows 11 Pro desktop, should I have that downloaded into the computer first, before putting the music files from the thumb drive into it, or do should I do the transfer of the files first and then install the new MMW Gold ?
Does it make a difference which goes into the new computer first?

And secondly, I assume that since I already have MMA on my cell phone, that contains my library of songs from the old computer, I will not need to purchase a new MMA in order to perform future syncs from the new licensed program and new computer?

Thanks for your continued guidance.

Regards,
CK
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
1. MM5 license is tied to portable installation on Thumb drive not to PC eg. hence meaning of Portable Installation that you can move around. So you can do all on OLD PC and simply start it on new one ;)

2. Sync Settings are within Library so that portable information will have sync information for the phone. Also MMA is independent app and license is tied to account used to purchase MMA not the MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Thanks,

So, if I understand correctly, the whole Library, MM Program and all, will be formatted as it is in the Windows 7 computer, and will be copied by the thumb drive and then downloaded into the windows 11 computer?

I was under the impression that only the song files (Mp3 files) themselves would be copied onto the thumb drive and then downloaded into the new computer's hard Drive, not the program, and that I would need to install a new Media Monkey Gold program into the new windows 11 computer for those song files to be populated (formatted) into a MMW library.

My Goal: Will the libraries be operational on both computers at this point? as my objective is to have the library of songs operating independently on both computers. Moving forward, one computer will have more Pop/Rock songs being added to my Pop/Rock library, and the other computer will have Country songs being added for a mix of Pop/Rock/Country into its library.

Thank you for your responses.

Regards,
CK
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You ask several contradiction questions. Do you want to be able to share MM on both PCs thru thumb drive or you want partial shared library files shared on each of the PCs or you want that MM library is in sync on both PCs?

What you describe is taht you want to copy files on thumb drive from Win 7 PC local hdd and then copy them to Win 11 Local HDD with its own MM installation. If that is the case then you can't make both PCs in sync as each PC will be separate installations with own libraries.

Purpose of Portable MM is that you install portable once (no matter of PC you use to install it) onto Thumb Drive, keep media files on Thumb drive so that when you start it on second PC (off thumb drive) Library is same and will always be in sync because all media files are on Thumb drive.
Best regards,
Peke
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi,
Sorry for the confusion. Hope this will help clarify.

My goal is to have the same songs on both the Windows 7 and the Windows 11 to start off with, and then I will continue to add more Pop/Rock songs in the future to the windows 11 computer, and my wife will add her Country songs to the windows 7 computer.
i.e. both computers will start off with the same Library of songs but will differ from one another as I add songs to my Windows 11 Library, and she adds her songs to the Windows 7 library. The difference between the libraries will be that mine will be all Pop/Rock and Her's will become a mix of Pop/Rock and Country.

I thought that the best way to make each library independent of each other was to have two MMW programs, the remaining one left on the Window 7 computer and a new one to be purchased on the Windows 11 computer. (It then would be as if each person is running their own program and Library on their own computer)

But , if you are saying that the whole MMW program itself (not just the song files) will be "copied" by the thumb drive and then put onto the Windows 11, then going forward, I guess I would just add songs to the copied library on the Windows 11 computer, and she would just add songs to the MMW program still remaining on her Windows 7 library, and I would not need to purchase a new MMW program for the Windows 11 computer?

The big question is, what is the correct route that would make the two computers' Libraries function and run independently of one another.

I hope this helps?

Thanks, and regards,
CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case just run 2 independent MediaMonkeys and only copy (via network or USB storage) the media files between the 2 that you want to share between the 2 computers.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I agree with Lowlander on this.

As a start you can copy MM5 Library of Win 7 PC along with media files you want like LL said -> Copy them On Win 11 PC and use File -> Locate Moved Missing tracks to update Library path to new one on Win 11 PC, after that you should have starting point where you can clear library dead links (non copied files off win 7 PC). After that you have two separate setups with own library and files.
Best regards,
Peke