Casting: MMA tries to force screen locks, eventually reboots to Android recovery screen

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

thereinaminute

Casting: MMA tries to force screen locks, eventually reboots to Android recovery screen

Post by thereinaminute »

Hi all,

A very curious thing happens for specific songs when casting to a Google smart speaker or group of speakers. My guess is that an artwork image around 2MB or over that is stored in the tag of a song file is the cause (the pre-upgrade MMA version did not struggle with this).

I'm running MMA build 1080 on a Nokia 7.2 using Android 11, here's what happens - it all happens within a minute or so:

1) Song starts to play
2) Phone starts trying to lock
3) Lock screen shows briefly (I'd expect the lock screen player to show but seems unable to render)
4) Screen goes black
5) Quickly repeats steps 2-4 multiple times - approx. 17 times
6) Phone boots to Android Recovery screen
7) Manually select Try Again
8) Phone boots to standard lock screen
9) Enter PIN to unlock
10) Open MMA
11) Casting Connection Recovered message appears

Then one of three things happens:

12a) Steps 1-11 repeat themselves
12b) Manually disconnect Cast, connect Cast again, skip forward one song, MMA plays songs until another "dodgy" song/file is selected
12c) Cannot play previously selected song as MMA unable to read SD card where songs are stored

I've adjusted the size of the image files stored in the tags of some affected songs and this has successfully worked around the problem. Thus far 2000x2000, 1.6MB is the largest image size that MMA has played during casting without crashing.

Hoping someone can investigate and resolve this one, MM has been good to me over the years! :)
rusty

Re: Casting: MMA tries to force screen locks, eventually reboots to Android recovery screen

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed report! I'd really like to get to the bottom of this as it sounds similar to an issue that had occurred early in the MMA 2.0 beta cycle but which we had thought resolved:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18253

I tested this with 2GB and 4GB image files with a Samsung device (Android 12) and Pixel 2XL (Android 11) and couldn't replicate the issue on either (tested casting to both Google Audio and Google Mini).

Can you share a sample track that exhibits this behavior--it may be specific to certain file types/image formats.

Thanks!

-Rusty