b1076 unwanted background tasks [#19964, #19972]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

b1076 unwanted background tasks [#19964, #19972]

Post by gordol »

I haven't seen these for several updates but they're back now, and apparently with a vengeance. Started popping up again after my phone updated MMA to b1076.

"Creating new video thumbnails" Image. I do not use MMA for videos. None are synced from MMW, it is not set to be my video player, and there are no video file folders in its configured library location.

"Scanning folders to the library" Image. I do not add content from outside the MMA/MMW sync pairing; all database and library management is done through the desktop sync there are no new folders to scan once the sync has finished cleaning up.

There should be nothing happening at all to trigger either of these as nothing is happening from outside of MMA to its database or library files. And yet these two background tasks pop up very very frequently.
rusty

Re: b1076 unwanted background tasks

Post by rusty »

What folders are configured in Options > Library & Sync > Choose library folders?

Thanks!

-Rusty
gordol

Post by gordol »

MediaMonkey
Music
Video

I did not add Video, MMA did that itself. All are in Internal Storage (this phone does not have an SD slot).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Removing the Video folder should resolve the issue.
gordol

Post by gordol »

I never added that folder in the first place. Which means MMA did that itself.
gordol

Post by gordol »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:03 pm Removing the Video folder should resolve the issue.
It did not. The folder is back and MMA is again "scanning folders into the library".
rusty

Post by rusty »

??!!

Are you saying that you removed /Videos from MMA Options > Library and Sync > Choose library folders, and that it somehow got added back by itself ?

Thanks!

-Rusty
gordol

Post by gordol »

rusty wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:44 pm ??!!

Are you saying that you removed /Videos from MMA Options > Library and Sync > Choose library folders, and that it somehow got added back by itself ?

Thanks!

-Rusty
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did it return after a Sync? I've not have it returned after removing it a couple MMA 2.0 builds ago, however I haven't Synced since removing.
gordol

Post by gordol »

MMA updated to b1077 before I got to this, which I was going to test anyway.

Yes. It is returning after a sync with MMW5. Videos are not set to sync in either direction. Not by category, not by playlist. And other than the Android system default subfolders, "Videos" on the phone is empty, no files in it.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks! Tracking at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19972

It looks like the full workaround would be to:
a) disable the folder in MMA as described previously
b) also disable it in the sync Profile > File Locations settings in MMW

-Rusty
gordol

Re: b1076 unwanted background tasks [#19964, #19972]

Post by gordol »

Still happening. The "Video" folder is not being re-added, but I now have "MediaMonkey Storage" (this is new), "MediaMonkey", and "Music".
rusty

Post by rusty »

I should have tested that first ;-(

The location is created as a sync destination when any of the sync location masks in MMW are empty. We'll look into this in the future (at issue #19972).

As to optimizing scanning, we're still working on that for 2.0.

-Rusty
gordol

too much scanning

Post by gordol »

Currently b1091

This has been a recurring thing off and on for many builds. MMA will way too often, with absolutely zero external changes to the database, "scan files into the library" or "scanning artwork".

Today alone, I have caught it doing this at least a half dozen times in the past 7 hours. And last night, it doing this was interfering with being able to start a sync with MMW because MMA won't sync until all background tasks have finished. And sometimes, these background scans are so far into the background they don't pop a notification - even internally in MMA itself (no down-arrow to show background activity at the top of the current list display).

Once the sync with MMW is finished and MMA has done its post-sync cleanup, there is no reason for it to ever do this. I have the option "Update playlists from other apps" UNchecked.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks! Optimizing the scan process is one of the remaining 20 urgent items on our list to fix for 2.0. It's tracked at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18866

-Rusty