Need help with an old EventGhost plugin which doesn't work with MM5

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

nonob

Need help with an old EventGhost plugin which doesn't work with MM5

Post by nonob »

Hi,
I use MediaMonkey 4 for years and I control it with remote control (Logitech Harmony) with an old software: EventGhost.

I updated MediaMonkey from v4 to v5 and the plugin doesn't work anymore, it says "self.workerThread is None !".
I create an issue on the EventGhost GitHub page but it is old software and I'm not sure it is still maintained (the website and its form are down).

I don't know if it is a big work or not to make the plugin compatible with MM 5 but I would really appreciate if someones could help me with this. The plugin code is here.

Website "Le Geek du Cerisier" : MediaMonkey
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
nonob

Re: Need help with an old EventGhost plugin which doesn't work with MM5

Post by nonob »

Hi,
I just found the old topic about the MediaMonkey EventGhost plugin I'm using, a topic created by the plugin developer: here.
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
nonob

Post by nonob »

While waiting for a possible answer for a modification or a new MediaMonkey plugin for EventGhost, I managed to recreate the main commands play, pause, previous file, next file, stop :):

I added new shortcuts in MediaMonkey for these playbacks actions (existing shortcuts use "media" shortcuts which I failed to use in EventGhost). I used combinations of CTR, ALT, and F7-F11 that I don't think are used elsewhere.

To create these new shortcuts, go to Tools\Options\General\Keyboard shortcuts: New shortcut: Apply:

I created these shortcuts and checked the "Global" box so they would work even if MediaMonkey doesn't have focus:

In EventGhost I started from the list of existing actions created with the plugin and I added the Windows Window\Simulate a keyboard key activities: I added the shortcuts in this form: {Ctrl+Alt+F9}

I disabled the actions of the plugin so as not to generate errors in the EventGhost log (I then completely disabled the plugin):

It seems to work! :D

Now all I'm missing is the launch of playlists which was a convenient feature of the plugin:

If anyone has an idea for this... I don't think it can be done with a hotkey. It must be possible with the MediaMonkey API but I don't know which command to use and how to generate it with EventGhost, if you have any ideas...

In the meantime, I'm using the Android application MMRemote to launch playlists, among other things...
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Seems like EventGhost is using the COM API, which is deprecated in MM5. It may be possible to get some of the functionality by changing SongsDB.SDBApplication to SongsDB5.SDBApplication: https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhos ... __.py#L539

but many of the COM methods are not implemented because we've been attempting to make MM cross-platform, and COM is Windows-only. Unfortunately, since I see the EventGhost MM plugin is several thousands of lines long, it'd be a mighty amount of work to translate it to the new remoteRequest framework for MM5 (but it would still be possible).
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and explanations :)

It seems too complicated, I think I can live without launching my playlist with my physical remote control but it would be a bonus if I could...

Are there any other actions I could use in EventGhost to launch playlist play? (outside the mm plugin; there are a lot of other plugins and actions in EventGhost)
A simple solution will be to have the ability to assign keyboard shortcuts to launch playlist play, could it be possible?
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Sorry, I unfortunately don't know enough about EventGhost to say whether you'd be able to use its other features to do what you want.

Using MMremote or MonkeyMote could likely do what you're looking for. Otherwise, maybe the keyboard shortcut idea could work, if you can find a hotkey in Tools > Options > Hotkeys that does what you're looking for. You'll probably want to check the "Global" box if you want the hotkey to work no matter what program is currently "focused". If you can't find a hotkey for what you want, and you're comfortable with doing some JavaScript, you could also make an addon to add a hotkey for whatever you're trying to do. Check SampleScripts/hotkeyAction.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi,
drakinite wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:29 pm Using MMremote or MonkeyMote could likely do what you're looking for.
Yes, I use MMRemote :) :
nonob wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:18 am In the meantime, I'm using the Android application MMRemote to launch playlists, among other things...
drakinite wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:29 pm Otherwise, maybe the keyboard shortcut idea could work, if you can find a hotkey in Tools > Options > Hotkeys that does what you're looking for. You'll probably want to check the "Global" box if you want the hotkey to work no matter what program is currently "focused".
As I said, I managed to recreate the main commands with global shortcuts but there isn't a shortcut to launch playlists.
drakinite wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:29 pm If you can't find a hotkey for what you want, and you're comfortable with doing some JavaScript, you could also make an addon to add a hotkey for whatever you're trying to do. Check SampleScripts/hotkeyAction.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about javascript or any other language.