MM5 removing periods, causing files to lose extension [#19916]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

mndtrp

MM5 removing periods, causing files to lose extension [#19916]

Post by mndtrp »

This is likely due to a change implemented in MM4: viewtopic.php?p=485957#p485957

In that issue, tracks that started with a period were being hidden by my QNAP NAS. I finally made the switch to MM5, and noticed that when MM5 updates tracks, it is removing the "." character prior to the extension. This is changing files from "track.flac" to "trackflac", which makes them unusable.

Has MM5 resolved the issue within the build for the leading "." characters being hidden on Linux, or should I make some other change within the .ini file to 1) allow linux to not hide it, and 2) keep the extension intact?
Lowlander

Re: MM5 removing periods, causing files to lose extension

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using and what feature are you using that causes this problem?

There is no way around the hiding of files on Linux, that is a Linux design feature (just like certain characters can't be used on Windows).
mndtrp

Post by mndtrp »

For some reason, MM4 removed the periods in the filenames while retaining the extension. MM5 does not appear to be doing the same thing.

As far as feature, I was just updating the BPM field. I then updated the disc number. Both times, the "." in ".flac" was removed.

In MM4, files such as "...and justice for all.flac" would be renamed to "and justice for all.flac".
In MM5, it would be "...and justice for all.flac" to "and justice for allflac".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have Tools > Options > Auto-Organize enabled? If so what Mask are you using?
mndtrp

Post by mndtrp »

Yes, same settings as were in MM4.

<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track #> - <Title>

Options checked (enabled)
Automatically Organize Files (During Scans or Edits)
Delete Emptied Folders
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please capture this removing of . before extension (on a single file) in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.
mndtrp

Post by mndtrp »

OK, I believe I did it correctly.

Ticket: #5750

Just to confirm, I went back to MM4, and editing the properties does not remove the period for the extension. It only removes the periods in the filename itself. Strange that something within MM5, and the .ini file edit that worked in MM4, would have this affect in MM5.

This wouldn't really be an issue, except Plex won't pick up albums like "...and Justice for All". I use mediamonkey for all of my file management, and phone syncing, so manually editing the folder names isn't going to work. I don't see a way within auto-organize that would convert album folders from "...and Justice" to "and Justice".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Thanks for the log, the issue itself is being tracked here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19916