Change shuffle mode on player?

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

mp3_till_death

Change shuffle mode on player?

Post by mp3_till_death »

Is there any way to change how the Android MM app handles shuffling? I find it really annoying that if I skip past a song, then go back to that song, it reshuffles everything that comes after that song again.
The way it is right now:
Skipping through a shuffled playlist. Accidentally skip past Song 1 that I want to listen to. From Song 2, go back to Song 1. However, going back to Song 1 shuffles everything that came after it, so that when Song 1 is done, Song 2 will no longer play next, instead replaced by a new shuffled song. I've never encountered another media player that handles shuffling like this, and I'm really not a fan. Is there any way to change this?
Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Change shuffle mode on player?

Post by Lowlander »

If you have Shuffle enabled on the Player that would be expected behavior. You'd need to disable Shuffle if you want to play files in order of the Playing list.

You can use Shuffle Play to add files in random manner to the Playing, then have Shuffle itself disabled so you have control over play order.
Halfwolf102

[REQ] Static Shuffle Mode

Post by Halfwolf102 »

Hello! I'm new to using Media Monkey and it's been absolutely amazing so far. I've noticed that it shuffles songs differently than what I've seen with other media players though. Normally, the shuffle function keeps the songs in the same order until they're shuffled again (shuffle is turned off and on again), so if you go back to the previous song, the same song will still play next. With MediaMonkey, if you go back a song with shuffle on, a completely different song will play next rather than one that was playing the first time. This isn't necessary a bad thing and I actually kind of like the idea, but it would be nice to have the option to choose how songs are shuffled. So, I would like to suggest adding the option for shuffle modes in the playback options and having a dynamic mode (the current behavior) and a static mode (one that retains a set playback order).
- Ezekiel "Zeek" Kovar
mp3_till_death

Post by mp3_till_death »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:54 pm If you have Shuffle enabled on the Player that would be expected behavior. You'd need to disable Shuffle if you want to play files in order of the Playing list.

You can use Shuffle Play to add files in random manner to the Playing, then have Shuffle itself disabled so you have control over play order.
Using the shuffle play and then going through the play order with shuffle disabled had honestly never occurred to me, that's a good workaround, I'll start doing that. I'd still prefer a "dynamic" and "static" shuffle mode, as another user suggested, but this will definitely work as well. Thanks a bunch!
Halfwolf102

Post by Halfwolf102 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:54 pm If you have Shuffle enabled on the Player that would be expected behavior. You'd need to disable Shuffle if you want to play files in order of the Playing list.

Thank you for the workaround! I do think that it would be a nice feature to have if it's possible to implement though. When I start listening to music I usually choose the first song and let shuffle take it from there. Occasionally there will be a song I want to hear again and I'll go back to it, but I'd like to be able to pick back up where the shuffled playlist left off.

My specific use case aside, it's also a bit more difficult to sort through songs like that on larger playlists. The one I'm currently listening to has over 300 songs and my main one has over 1000, and I'm sure there are others with even larger playlists. Plus most media players (the ones I know of at least) use the "static shuffle" method and MediaMonkey is the first that I've seen to use a dynamic method. Most people switching from other media players would likely be expecting a similar behavior and may be confused when it's different.
- Ezekiel "Zeek" Kovar
patrick31150

Post by patrick31150 »

Hello,
Sorry for my stupid question.
How do you enable/disable shuffle?
Thank you for your help
Halfwolf102

Post by Halfwolf102 »

patrick31150 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:23 am Hello,
Sorry for my stupid question.
How do you enable/disable shuffle?
Thank you for your help
If you tap on the album art, the shuffle and repeat buttons should show up. I had trouble finding them my first few weeks with MMA and I didn't think it had those functions. It was only after my third time searching through the forum about it that I found they actually exist.
Last edited by Halfwolf102 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Ezekiel "Zeek" Kovar